The wait has been pretty long, but it’s most definitely going to be worth it in the end. Today, Ancient announced that Gotta Protectors (Nintendo 3DS) would be released on July 21st in North America, via the Nintendo eShop. For those who didn’t follow, Gotta Protectors is the English name of Protect Me Knight II, which came out last year in Japan.
Gotta Protectors is a cooperative Action, Tower Defense game, where you have to defend your princess from the unrelenting assault of monsters. To do so, you can chose between 6 different classes, which all have their own skills and abilities.
Here’s the 6 classes:
- Fighter: focused on raw strength
- Amazon: balanced
- Ninja: focus on agility
- Mage: nuke enemies with magic
- Olg Guy: a knight riding on a wooden potty
- Archer: focused on ranged combat
The game features 100 stages, with 4 difficulty levels. There’s also a multiplayer component, with 4-player co-op (local-only, but compatible with Download Play), and you can even create + share levels via QR Codes.
Here’s the English trailer for the game, showcasing and detailing the various game mechanics (such as the barricades, the six classes, and more):
And here’s some screenshots:
One of the most important element of the game is the music. Gotta Protectors was developed by Ancient, a company created by… the one and only Yuzo Koshiro! Naturally, he composed many tracks for the game, but he wasn’t alone: he also asked several other famous composers to participate.
Here’s the list of composers for the game:
- Hiroshi Kawaguchi (Space Harrier, After Burner)
- Shinji Hosoe (Dragon Spirit, Ridge Racer)
- Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage, ActRaiser)
- Ogura Hisayoshi OngaSeisakushow (Ninja Warriors, The Legend of Kage)
- Motoaki Furukawa (Vulcan Venture / Gradius II, Castlevania)
Gotta Protectors will be released on July 21st in North America, where it will cost $12.99 (with a FM Sound Pack for $7.99). Unfortunately, we don’t know when the game will be available in Europe…
Our Upcoming Releases page has been updated!