Nintendo have just launched a brand new feature for Nintendo Switch Online subscribers, called Missions & Rewards. It’s basically a MyNintendo service exclusively for Nintendo Switch Online subscribers: you complete various missions (which generally involve using Nintendo Switch Online features such as online play or the Save Data Cloud), and you get Platinum Points as rewards. You can then use those Points to claim rewards such as User Icons, and more.
Here’s how it works:
- Use Nintendo Switch Online services and complete missions!
- You can complete missions by using Nintendo Switch Online services, like playing games that use online play or Save Data Cloud services.
- Open the Nintendo Switch Online application to get Platinum Points!
- You can collect Platinum Points from this application after you’ve completed a mission. Platinum Points expire though, so remember to use them! You can view how many points you have under Platinum Points.
- Redeem Platinum Points for rewards!
- You can redeem Platinum Points for user-icon elements, which are member-exclusive rewards. There are three types of elements: characters, frames, and backgrounds. Combine these elements to create your own original user icons.
One thing to note is that you can use the regular Platinum Points from MyNintendo to redeem those Nintendo Switch Online rewards, which means you technically don’t even have to use online features to collect Platinum Points (naturally, you do need a valid subscription to claim the exclusive rewards).
As of writing, only elements to create your own User Icons are available. It’s not clear if/when other kinds of rewards will be added to this new service. New rewards are added every week on Tuesday, with one game featured every month (for March, it’s Super Mario Odyssey).
Nintendo Switch Online – Missions
Here’s the list of Missions currently available:
Until July 5th
- Play Super NES: Featured Title |Kirby’s Dream Land 3 [50 Platinum Points]
No end date
- Play Software That Supports Online Play (1): One game per week [30 Platinum Points]
- Back Up Save Data (2): Once per week [20 Platinum Points]
- Use This Application (Nintendo Switch Online): Once per week [20 Platinum Points]
- Play Game Trials Software [100 Platinum Points]
(1) Does not apply to Nintendo Entertainment – Nintendo Switch Online, Super Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online, and Game Trials.
(2) Does not apply to the Animal Crossing: New Horizons Island Backup Service.
NB: weekly missions refresh every Monday at 12.30AM local time.
Nintendo Switch Online – Rewards
New rewards rotate every Monday at 6PM PT / 9PM ET – Tuesday at 2AM GMT / 3AM CET / 11AM JST.
Mario Strikers: Battle League
In June, the rewards are also about Mario Strikers: Battle League! There’s 3 types of rewards available: Characters, Backgrounds, and Frames.
- Round 1: June 10th to June 17th
- Round 2: June 17th to June 24th
- Round 3: June 24th to July 1st
- Round 4: July 1st to July 8th
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
In June, the rewards are all about The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wirld! There’s 3 types of rewards available: Characters, Backgrounds, and Frames.
- Round 1: June 7th to June 14th
- Round 2: June 14th to June 21st
- Round 3: June 21st to June 28th
- Round 4: June 28th to July 5th
- Round 5: May 31st to June 7th
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Animal Crossing: New Horizons rewards are now live, with 3 types of rewards available: Characters, Backgrounds, and Frames.
- Round 1: March 1st to April 4th/5th
- Round 2: April 5th to May 2nd
- Round 3: May 2nd to June 7th
- Round 4: June 7th to July 5th
Unlike those for other games, those rewards are available for a whole month, and that’s because the selection is based on which Animals have their birthday during a given month.
Source: Nintendo Switch Online / Nintendo