Today, during the Nindie Showcase Summer 2018, Nintendo revealed and showcase plenty of indie games coming to the Nintendo Switch in the upcoming months. Missed the presentation? You can now watch it in full on YouTube!
Here’s the full list of games showcased during the presentation: Into The Breach (new), Bastion (new), Zarvot (new), Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP (new), Bullet Age (new), Levelhead (new), Transistor (new), Treasure Stack (new), Samurai Gunn 2 (new), The World Next Door (new), King of the Hat (new), Untitled Goose Game (new), Hyper Light Drifter: Special Edition, Wasteland 2: Director’s Cut, Undertale, Light Fingers, TowerFall, The Jackbox Party Pack 5, Dragon Marked For Death, Desert Child, and Mineko’s Night Market!
Here the recording of the Nindie Showcase Summer 2018
Here’s the various games showcased in the Nindies Showcase Summer 2018, once again put in two categories: games already announced that received a release date/window, and those that were previously unannounced.
Nindie Showcase Summer 2018 – New games
- Into the Breach (Subset Games): available now
The hit turn-based strategy game is headed to Nintendo Switch. In the stylish Into the Breach, players will suit up in powerful mechs and defend against the Vek infestation across randomly generated islands. Players can perfect their strategy and build the ultimate mech by finding powerful new weapons and unique pilots throughout the campaign.
Control powerful mechs from the future to defeat an alien threat. Each attempt to save the world presents a new randomly generated challenge in this turn-based strategy game from the makers of FTL.
- Defend the Cities: Civilian buildings power your mechs. Defend them from the Vek and watch your fire!
- Perfect Your Strategy: All enemy attacks are telegraphed in minimalistic, turn-based combat. Analyze your opponent’s attack and come up with the perfect counter every turn.
- Build the Ultimate Mech: Find powerful new weapons and unique pilots as you battle the Vek infestation across Corporate-Nation islands.
- Another Chance: Failure is not an option. When you are defeated, send help back through time to save another timeline!
- Bastion (Warner Bros.): out on September 13th
Bastion is an action role-playing experience that redefines storytelling in games, with a reactive narrator who marks your every move. Explore more than 40 lush hand-painted environments as you discover the secrets of the Calamity, a surreal catastrophe that shattered the world to pieces. Wield a huge arsenal of upgradeable weapons and battle savage beasts adapted to their new habitat. Finish the main story to unlock the New Game Plus mode and continue your journey!
- Action-packed combat rewards playing with finesse
- Hours of reactive narration delivers a deep story
- Stunning hand-painted artwork
- Critically-acclaimed original music score
- ‘New Game Plus’ and ‘Score Attack’ modes unlocked after finishing the story
- Zarvot (snowhydra Games): out in October
Zarvot is a charming arcade shooter about cubes. Play with friends in up to four player Versus mode and shoot lasers at each other on over a dozen destructible maps! And follow the adventures of two cubes in Story Mode as they make the ultimate birthday present to cheer up their best friend.
- Polished and tightly balanced competitive party game for 2-4 players.
- Charming singleplayer campaign about two cubes putting together a birthday present to cheer up their best friend.
- Deep, intuitive cube gameplay in an ultra-realistic world.
- Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP (Capybara Games): out in October
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is an exploratory adventure with an emphasis on audiovisual style. Traverse a mythic little realm, use a sword to do battle & evoke ‘sworcery’ to solve mystical musical mysteries. Experience a videogame world that is affected by moon phases & help a wandering warrior monk complete her woeful errand.
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP features an album’s worth of original music by noted composer Jim Guthrie as well as artwork & designs by Superbrothers Inc, crafted & engineered by videogame wizards at Capy in Toronto, Canada.
- Capy, Superbrothers & Jim Guthrie bring you this old-fangled mythopoetic journey on console for the first time.
- Guide a warrior monk on a laid-back adventure in a bronze age mountain wilderness, overcome occasionally hard-hitting battles & solve mystical, musical puzzles to help The Scythian complete her woeful errand.
- A fevered famicom dream. Explore a lavishly-pixelated mythopoetic storyworld affected by real-life moon phases.
- A prog rock concept record you can hang out in. Treat your ears to an album’s worth of original music created by the legendary composer Jim Guthrie.
- Choose your style of questing: Tip-tap using the Switch’s touch-able Touch screen, in handheld mode held by your hands, docked and using a Joy-Con to point-and-click, or even with a controller.
- Don’t worry, we cut Twitter.
- Bullet Age (Liv Games): out in November
Slash and blast your way through fantasy wasteland. The world of New Haven is a wasteland. The ARC empire destroyed it with a single Mutagen Bomb that transformed its creatures to mutated monsters. Join the Gunsword heroes in this classic co-op 2D action-platformer as they become the last hope for the United Resistance. Gain powerful abilities to dash, spin, and blast through creepy creatures, mutated soldiers and huge bosses. It’s up to you to stop the ARC from achieving world domination.
- Play through dozens of meticulously designed levels chock-full of secrets, challenging platforming and over the top bosses that spans over 3 continents.
- Intuitive combat system that mixes hack and slash action and run and gun gameplay.
- Purchase and upgrade weapons with unique parts that will give bullets devastating abilities.
- Full co-op adventure with single Joy-con support and HD rumble to feel each action and help you locate hidden secrets.
- Beautiful hand-drawn cartoon graphics and fluid animation bring the world of Bullet Age to life.
- Levelhead (Butterscotch Shenanigans): out in November
Levelhead is a creative platformer for 1-4 players. Run, jump, and warp up the corporate ladder of the Levelhead Division in the single-player campaign, research new elements for your very own level-building workshop, then build and publish levels for the rest of the world to play!
- Responsive, joyful platforming – Take control of GR-18, a delivery robot in-training, as you run, jump, and blast your way across a single player campaign and an endless supply of player-generated levels.
- Effortless, dynamic level building – Hop into the Workshop to create your own levels with more than 60 elements including enemies, hazards, paths, switches, secrets, power-ups, and even alternate game modes.
- Couch Co-op Creativity – Levelhead lets you play with up to 4 friends on the same couch for some downright hilarious entertainment. And if you want to really reach for those relationship goals, hop into the Workshop with friends and build levels with everyone at once.
- Build a following, play the world – Publish your Workshop levels to the Levelhub for the world to enjoy, and then fill up your own personalized feed by following creators whose content you love. With robust search and subscription, the Levelhub makes amassing a following and playing quality content from around the world a breeze.
- Transistor (Supergiant Games): out in November
Transistor is a sci-fi themed action RPG that invites you to wield an extraordinary weapon of unknown origin as you fight through a stunning futuristic city. Transistor seamlessly integrates thoughtful strategic planning into a fast-paced action experience, melding responsive gameplay and rich atmospheric storytelling. Fight your way through the streets of Cloudbank, and piece together the Transistor’s mysteries as you pursue its former owners.
- Action-packed real-time combat fused with a robust strategic planning mode
- Configure the powerful Transistor with thousands of possible Function combinations
- Vibrant hand-painted artwork
- Original soundtrack changes dynamically as the action unfolds
- ‘Recursion’ option introduces procedural battles after finishing the story
- Treasure Stack (Pixelakes): out in December
Jump. Grapple. Stack. Experience single and multiplayer puzzle mayhem! Treasure Stack fuses falling block puzzle mechanics with platformer elements to create a gameplay experience unlike anything you’ve played before. Use your platforming skills to navigate the play field, snatch falling blocks with the grappling hook, and stack them to create matches! Test your skills in Challenge mode, compete with friends in Local Versus mode, or jump into Online Versus and battle head to head!
- Cross-Platform competitive online multiplayer featuring season-based rankings.
- Over a hundred unlockable cosmetic player customizations.
- Robust HD Rumble Support. See, hear, and FEEL Treasure Stack’s iconic grappling hook, power-up blocks, and a variety of other in-game interactions.
- Stack anywhere, anytime, with anyone!
- Handheld (Joy-Cons attached) – Single Player Challenge mode, Online Versus
- Tabletop (Joy-Cons detached) – Single Player Challenge Mode, Online Versus, 2-player local Versus (1 Joy-Con per player)
- Docked – Single Player Challenge mode, 2-4 player local Versus, Online Versus
- Samurai Gunn 2 (Double Fine): out in Early 2019
Samurai Gunn 2 features a new, expansive adventure mode and an updated versus mode. Adventure with a friend through a medieval metropolis on the brink of crisis—fight or fly past your foes to discover the mystery behind Gunn City’s ghostly threat. …or battle together with a group of 2-4 friends in versus with improved controls, new levels, and new characters! A princess, a golem, a samurai knight, and a homeless girl all have a part in rewriting the fate of Gunn City forever.
- Designed by Beau Blyth, co-creator of Hyper Light Drifter.
- Armed with a sword, a gunn, and three bullets per life, fight or fly past your foes to discover the mystery behind Gunn City’s ghostly threat. Every decision matters, since one hit is all that separates victory from defeat.
- Classic versus mode is back for 2-4 players with improved controls, new levels, and new characters.
- New to Samurai Gunn 2, adventure with a friend through a medieval metropolis on the brink of crisis. A mad emperor pushes to expand the city at a ridiculous pace, while an epidemic of gunnpowder overdoses is on the rise, and old spirits are creeping back into the world.
- Featuring Trigger Soul, a Samurai Gunn graphic novel by acclaimed French comic creator Valentin Seiche. With super smooth touch screen interface (exclusive to Switch).
- The World Next Door (VIZ Media): out in Early 2019
The World Next Door is a narrative-driven, action-adventure game that follows Jun, a rebellious teen girl trapped in a parallel world inhabited by magical creatures. Inspired by the emotional storytelling and thrilling action of both anime and indie games, players can expect to meet and develop friendships with an eclectic cast of characters while uncovering the mysteries hidden within this world.
- A supernatural, story driven game with action-heavy puzzle battles
- Branching dialogue and reputation systems that affect your relationships with characters in the game
- Fast-paced real-time puzzle battles; activate runes to cast spells and defeat opponents to advance the story
- VS mode available to 2 player local multiplayer
- King of the Hat (Hyrogliphik Games): out in Early 2019
Fast-paced, hat-based fighting game. Everyone’s soul is trapped in their hat and you can only die if your hat gets crushed. Throw your hat, risk your life. Crush your opponent’s hat before they crush yours in this fast-paced, hat-based, fighting game.
- Unique weapon/life-source dynamic
- Simple, tight controllers
- 15+ Unique characters
- Untitled Goose Game (Panic)
It’s a lovely morning in the village and you are a horrible goose. Untitled Goose Game combines sandbox-style simulation with slapstick-style shtick and lets players loose on a sleepy village. Make your way around town, from the village green to the high street shops, setting up pranks, stealing hats, and generally ruining everyone’s day.
- A Goose
- Inventive, Sandbox-Style Gameplay
- Multiple Areas and Challenges
- Very Funny
Nindie Showcase Summer 2018 – New release dates/windows
- Hyper Light Drifter: Special Edition (Abylight): out on September 6th, available for pre-purchase on the Nintendo eShop
Drift up in a mysterious world to find a cure for a deadly illness… and traverse a dark, detailed land with vicious enemies and secrets abound. Explore a beautiful, vast and ruined world riddled with dangers and lost technologies. Echoes of a dark and violent past resonate throughout a savage land, steeped in treasure and blood. Hyper Light Drifter is an action adventure RPG in the vein of the best 16bit classics, with modernized mechanics and designs on a much grander scale.
- Maximum quality 60 fps
- Play it anywhere, alone or with a friend!
- Single Joy-Con play supported for 2 player co-op mode
- Exclusive Nintendo Switch content:
- Find secrets with the help of the new outfit
- Complete the Tower Climb challenge
- Freeze your enemies with the Crystal Shot
- Master the deadly Blade Caster
- Achievements, 1080p on Dock & Pro controller support
- Wasteland 2 (inXile Entertainment): out on September 13th
From the Producer of the original Fallout comes Wasteland 2, the sequel to the first-ever post-apocalyptic computer RPG. The Wasteland’s hellish landscape is waiting for you to make your mark…or die trying. With over 80 hours of gameplay, you will deck out your Desert Ranger squad with the most devastating weaponry this side of the fallout zone, test the limits of your strategy skills, and bring justice to the Wasteland.
- Decision Making…with Consequences: With both short and long-term reactivity, your choices ripple outwards, changing the game’s events and forever altering the lives of those in the Wasteland.
- Huge & Customizable: Hundreds of characters. Thousands of variations on your Rangers’ appearances. Over 150 weapons. No two players will have the same experience.
- Perks &: Quirks: Customize your squad even more! Perks & Quirks are special personality traits you can use to give your characters even more life, with their own unique bonuses… and drawbacks.
- Precision Strikes: Fire on your enemies and debilitate them with tactical attacks! Cripple a leg to slow an enemy down, fire on their gun to blast it to bits, or aim for the head to knock them senseless – or blow it clean off.
- Expanded Voice Over: Over 8,000 lines of new voice-over dialog have been added for the game’s characters and companions, bringing the Wasteland to life like never before.
- Undertale (8-4): out on September 18th, now available for pre-purchase in North America
The world-famous indie RPG UNDERTALE comes to Nintendo Switch! Fall into the underground and explore a hilarious and heartwarming world full of dangerous monsters. Date a skeleton, dance with a robot, cook with a fishwoman…or destroy everyone where they stand. The future is yours to determine!
- Killing is unnecessary: negotiate out of danger using the unique battle system.
- Time your attacks for extra damage, then dodge enemy attacks in a style reminiscent of top-down shooters.
- Original art and soundtrack brimming with personality.
- Soulful, character-rich story with an emphasis on humor.
- Light Fingers (Numizmatic): out on September 20th
What do skulking thieves do after a night of procuring shady spoils? They gather at a favorite tavern and wager it away on a friendly game of Light Fingers!
Played on a magical clockworks game board, this turn-based multiplayer game has real-time action and devious opportunities for misdirection, all in the pursuit of securing more loot than your opponents. For friends among thieves, bragging rights for the most deft are the biggest steal of all.
- Local pick-up-and-play for you and up to 3 of your closest frenemies.
- Single player campaign to prove your worth to Guild Master Kaw!
- A beautifully imagined game board that unfolds into a detailed miniature world as players take their turns.
- Secret cards to play and strategic moves to make; dungeon challenges test your reflexes and cunning!
- TowerFall (Matt Makes Games): out on September 27th, now available for pre-purchase
The ultimate version of the beloved archery combat/party game, featuring Switch-exclusive 6-player battles, guest characters, and more!
TowerFall is the ultimate version of the beloved archery combat/party game, featuring all of the content from Ascension and Dark World, and several Switch-exclusive additions!
Inspired by classics from the golden age of couch multiplayer, TowerFall centers around hilarious, intense versus matches – best played against friends, sitting cross-legged on the floor within punching distance of each other.
The core mechanics are simple and accessible, but hard to master, with a huge amount of gameplay variants, arrow types, power-ups, and levels. And when you need a break from the competition, team up in 1-4 player co-op modes, where you’ll fight off a wide variety of monsters, enemy archers, and bosses.
- Critically acclaimed local multiplayer madness, now with Switch-exclusive 6-player battle mode
- 1-4 player co-op Dark World mode
- Play as Madeline and her reflection Badeline, from Celeste
- The Jackbox Party Pack 5 (Jackbox Games): out in October
It’s the biggest Party Pack yet, including the return of the classic pop culture trivia mash-up YOU DON’T KNOW JACK: Full Stream; the game of hilarious hypotheticals Split the Room; the lyric-writing, robot rap battle Mad Verse City; the inventive drawing game Patently Stupid; and the outer space fling-fest Zeeple Dome. Use your phones or tablets as controllers and play with up to 8 players, plus an audience of up to 10,000!
- It’s the biggest Party Pack yet with five party-saving new games!
- The pop-culture trivia mash-up YOU DON’T KNOW JACK: Full Stream (1-8 players). The classic returns, full of wild new surprises.
- The what-if game Split the Room (3-8 Players). Create strange and divisive hypothetical situations.
- The lyric-writing game Mad Verse City (3-8 players). Channel your inner MC as a rap battling robot.
- The competitive drawing game Patently Stupid (3-8 players). Create odd inventions to solve bizarre problems.
- The deadliest game show in the Crab Nebula, Zeeple Dome (1-6 players)! Fling yourself at bloodthirsty aliens to win millions of Zubabucks!
- Play using your phones, tablets or computers. No extra controllers needed!
- Dragon Marked For Death (Inti Ceeates): out on December 13th
Dragon MFD is a 2D side-scrolling action RPG game where up to 4 players can play together in either local multiplayer or online multiplayer. Refreshing, feel-good level designs based around intuitive 2D-action-based gameplay await!.
- Play through the game as one of four Dragonkin characters! The characters, known as the Dragonkin, have forged a pact with dragons which granted them special new powers. You can choose any one of the Princess, Warrior, Shinobi, or Witch characters to play as.
- Each playable character has different strengths and abilities! The Princess is a well-balanced DPS character, the Warrior is a Tank class character that protects the party with his high defense, the Shinobi is DPS that places emphasis on movement on tricky attacks, and the Witch can both heal her allies and damage her emeies.
- A fascinating and immersive dark fantasy world. Carefully drawn pixel art from some of the industry’s best pixelmancers paints the entire picture and brings players right into the dark fantasy setting.
- Work together with your companions to progress through stages! In Dragon MFD, working together with your companions opens up a whole new realm of possibilities when it comes to defeating enemies and traversing stages.
- Battle against gargantuan bosses! Absolutely gigantic bosses that are bigger than the entire screen await our heroes. Work together with your comrades to take down these larger than life baddies!
- Dozens and dozens of hours worth of gameplay! Make no mistake, Dragon MFD is a massive game for its genre. With single stages that span 200-400 screens, over 30 main quests, and tons of side quests to tackle, players have tons of playtime to look forward to!
- Desert Child (Akupara Games): out in December
You’re broke, you’re hungry, and your only friends are a vintage hoverbike and a bowl of ramen noodles. In Desert Child, you are a young and talented hoverbike racer who needs to figure out how you can scrape enough cash together through racing and odd jobs to punch your one-way ticket to the Red Planet to enter the biggest race in the universe, the Grand Prix.
The world as we know it is slowly starting to become inhabitable, and many people on Earth have moved to Mars for a better quality of life, thanks to a government subsidy that assisted in relocating citizens by providing affordable passage. After several years of running this program, the government announces that in two weeks, tickets to Mars would go up in price, making the exodus to the Red Planet unobtainable for regular citizens.
You’ll deliver pizzas, collect gun parts, hunt bounties, and make some fans along the way. In between races, you’ll explore colorful cities where you can repair and upgrade your bike, dine on the local cuisine, and fight your way through gangsters, bounty hunters, and all sorts of interesting characters, just so that you can have a decent meal and keep your bike running. Nothing’s free in Desert Child.
- Hunt bounties, deliver pizzas, throw races – do anything you can to earn cash
- Explore a pixel-art solar system inspired by Cowboy Bebop, Akira and Redline
- Customize your beloved bike with Guns, Amplifiers and shameless advertising
- Dine on a range of interplanetary cuisine with sweet buffs to help you win
- Master deep combat and racing mechanics and define your own style
- Race, shoot, and get better! Designed for replayability, with secrets that keep you coming back
- Chill to an original lo-fi hip-hop soundtrack
- Challenge your friends through local multiplayer
- Mineko’s Night Market (Humble Bundle): out in Early 2019
Mineko’s Night Market is a narrative-driven adventure/merchant simulation game about crafting crafts, eating eats, and… catting cats. You play as Mineko, a curious girl who has just arrived at her new home on a struggling superstitious Japanese-inspired island at the base of Mount Fugu. The locals on the island worship the Sun Cat, Abe. What was always thought to be a long-told myth has the town puzzled, as sightings of Abe have begun to surface among the residents of the island in recent days.
Discover the secrets behind the town while managing your daily activities, completing various jobs, ven-turing on whimsical quests, and crafting peculiar items in preparation for the weekly Night Market! Mineko’s Night Market is a game that celebrates Japanese culture while introducing a heartwarming story about friendship, tradition, and many, many cats.
- 20+ hours of story-based gameplay that is open-ended for infinite replayability
- Craft peculiar items with the resources you find around the world through a variety of work-bench mini-games
- Befriend and barter with the 80+ townsfolk at the weekly Night Market to sell almost anything you make and find
- Play and compete in a variety of Night Market games like cat racing, octopus pull, and sumo-suit wrestling
Source: Nintendo PR / Nindie Summer Showcase 2018