Among Nintendo fans, Tantalus is mostly known for being the developers of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, a high-quality remaster of the Wii / GameCube classic. A few weeks ago, they confirmed they were working on projects for the Nintendo Switch, and it looks like Sonic Mania is one of them (as confirmed by the official fact sheet for the game).
Originally announced for other platforms a few months ago, Sonic Mania is basically a love-letter to the classic 2D Sonic the Hedgehog games (Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Sonic CD, and Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles).
Besides the nostalgic 2D pxiel-art, the game features the core gameplay of those games, and reimagines iconic Zones and Acts. Of course, it also includes all new Zones, Acts, and boss fights.
Here’s the main features of Sonic Mania:
- A true, classic Sonic experience in gorgeous pixel graphics featuring a variety of new Zones with iconic favorites from Sonic 1, 2, 3 and CD!
- Playable characters include: Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles
- New and improved features: familiar Zones with new looks, new bosses, new gameplay mechanics to explore, and more!
Here’s the trailer and some screenshots for the game:
Also, SEGA announced that the Nintendo Switch version of the game would also get the Limited Edition in North America. It includes the following:
- Deluxe “SEGA Genesis” style Collector’s Box
- 12″ Classic Sonic Statue featuring SEGA Genesis Base
- Flip the power switch to trigger the “SEEGAA” startup audio!
- Metallic Collector’s Card with Sonic Mania Download Code (digital game code)
- SEGA Cartridge Cast with Golden Ring
The limited edition is listed on Amazon.com [NB affiliate link], but it doesn’t seem to be available anymore Link to other retailers can be found on the official website.
Sonic Mania (Switch) will be released this Spring worldwide. The Upcoming Releases page has been updated!