Today, Hyrule Warriors Legends is featured in Famitsu magazine (as revealed by the leaks on Tuesday), but Koei-Tecmo didn’t wait too long before adding the details and pictures to the official website!
First, we have some details about the new story content, which takes places after the events of the original Hyrule Warriors on Wii U. Hyrule is at peace, but as you can imagine, it doesn’t last very long: trouble is brewing, and Link can feel something bad is about to happen.
It’s for this reason that Link decides to go on another journey, in order to save the Kingdom once more. Tetra and the King of Hyrule will appear in this new story content based on The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Good news if you only own a Wii U (or don’t want to play on Nintendo 3DS): the Famitsu scans below confirm that the new story content will be added to Hyrule Warriors on Wii U at one point.
Hyrule Warriors Legends will have new maps based on Outset Island, the Forbidden Fortress and what seems to be Windfall Island. They will also be available in the Wii U version, but just like the new story content, it’s unclear how they will be added.
We also get details about the new characters:
- Link: uses a sword, and is said to be very agile. He can use jump attacks to defeat enemies, and according to the website, specialises in technical combat.
- Tetra: uses a Cutlass and a pistol to fight, which make her deadly at both close and long range.
- King of Hyrule: can transform into the King of Red Lions when fighting.
As for the Helmaroc King, it’s indeed one of the new boss characters in Hyrule Warriors Legends, and just like in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, it mainly attacks using its sharp beak. In order to win, you will have to learn to avoid its attacks.
Next, we have two new features, which will only be found in Hyrule Warriors Legends on Nintendo 3DS:
- Character switch: using the icons on the bottom screen, you can switch characters at any time. This will be especially useful in order to complete certain objectives during battles. For example, if a major enemy suddenly appears in one part of the map, but you’re too far away to reach them fast enough, you can switch to a character which is closer. This adds a welcome touch of strategy to battles.
- Owl Statues: using a golden ocarina (one of the new items in the game), you can teleport to any of the Owl Statues found in the battlefield. This feature, used with the Character switch, will make for even more strategic battles!
There’s also a new item: the Hammer, which will be really useful when trying to get rid of the Miniblins (just like in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker!).
The official website also confirms that if you buy Hyrule Warriors Legends on Nintendo 3DS, you will be able to transfer the new characters (and only the characters!) to the Wii U version. Therefore, it confirms that the new story content and the new map based on The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker will most likely be added to the Wii U version as (paid?) DLC.
The website reiterates that even if you buy Hyrule Warriors Legends on Nintendo 3DS, which has all the characters from the Wii U version (including those released via DLC), only Tetra, Link and the King of Hyrule can be transferred to the Wii U version. You will have to buy the DLC characters from the Wii U version separately, if you haven’t already.
Here’s some scans from Famitsu magazine (courtesy of Japanese3DS):
Finally, we get another confirmation that Hyrule Warriors Legends will be at TGS next week, from September 17-20. There will be a special presentation hosted by Yosuke Hayashi (producer), livestreamed on NicoNico on September 17th, at:
- Europe: 5AM
- UK: 4AM
- North America (EDT): 11PM (September 16th)
- North America (PDT): 8PM (September 16th)
- Japan: 12PM
Hyrule Warriors Legends (3DS) comes out in early 2016, worldwide.
Source: official website