Nowadays, it’s pretty frequent to find games that are based and/or heavily inspired by real life events, and RIOT – Civil Unrest is one of them. And thanks to a rating on the ESRB website, we now know that it’s coming to the Nintendo Switch, though Merge Games hasn’t made an announcement yet (it’s most likely only a matter of days until we get one).
As the title indicates, RIOT – Civil Unrest is a game that’s all about riots; to be more precise, it’s described as a “real-time riot simulator”. What’s more, the riots are all based on real-life events. Here’s some examples of campaigns found in the game:
- Indignados (Spain)
- Arab Spring (Egypt)
- Keratea (Greece)
- NoTAV (Italy)
And here’s some of the single level scenarios (there’s 17 of them in the game):
RIOT – Civil Unrest was created by one Leonard Menchiari, who got to experience a riot at the NoTAV protests in Italy, and wanted to tell the stories and express the feelings experience during this event. The game allows you to experience the riots from both perspectives: the angered crowd, and the police forces tasked with restoring order. There’s no winners or losers in this game!
Here’s a trailer, some details, and various screenshots for RIOT – Civil Unrest:
Play as the Police
- Employ numerous crowd-control tactics, both passive and aggressive.
- Command Assault, Tactical, and Ballistic squads.
- Call in police trucks, water cannon or even a tank!
- Choose whether to use smoke grenades, rubber and plastic bullets or even live ammunition.
Play as the Rioters
- Instruct Rioters (armed and passive) and Journalists.
- Incite rage and cause the masses to act aggressively or try to calm the situation with tactical crowd reformation and retreats.
- Attack authority with Molotov cocktails, fireworks, paper-bombs, rocks, street furniture and the power of the media.
- Sixteen campaign levels split over four scenarios; Keratea (Greece), NoTAV (Italy), Indignados (Spain) and Arab Spring (Egypt).
- See the story unfold from both sides – play all thirty-two levels as the Rioters or the Police.
- Single player mode – play against the computer AI.
- Versus mode – play with or against a friend or AI.
It’s not clear whether there is any additional features or content in the Nintendo Switch version; we will have to wait for the official announcement to find out!!
RIOT – Civil Unrest (Switch – eShop) does not have a release date yet. The Upcoming Games page has been updated!
Source: Merge Games