During yesterday’s Nintendo Direct, we got some brand new details about Project Octopath Traveler, which is now known simply as Octopath Traveler.
For starters, two new characters were revealed:
- Tressa (Merchant): a woman with a keen eye for treasure, who dreams of seeing the world. Her Path Action is Purchase, and it allows her to buy items from almost all residents (including some that are not available in stores). You can use that to procure objects sought by the people you meet;
- Alfyn (Apothecary): an earnest young man, who goes on a journey to cure the sick and wounded. His Path Action is Inquire, which allows him to get all sort of information from people around him (that go beyond mere chit-chat). This allows him to get tips on how to get discounts at local shops, uncover the location of hidden items, and even make people spill their most well-kept secrets.
We also got some details about the Job system. In Octopath Traveler, each character can have two jobs: a Primary Job, and a Secondary Job. Here’s some examples:
- merchant + warrior or apothecary or dancer
- apothecary + merchant or dancer or warrior
- dancer + apothecary or warrior or merchant
- warrior + dancer or merchant or apothecary
The Secondary Job is unlocked as you progress through the game, and is used in battle. With it, you can mix and match weapons and armour, but also learn two different set of skills.
The game offers quite a bit of freedom when it comes to Abilities, as you can learn them in whichever order you want. You can start with low-cost ones and make your way “up”, or aim directly for the powerful ones. How you spend your job points is entirely up to you!
Also, during the Nintendo Direct presentation, a Limited Edition for the game was announced for Europe and North America. It’s called the Wayfarer’s Edition (North America) / Traveler’s Compendium Edition (Europe), and it includes the following:
- a stylized pop-up book
- a helpful cloth map
- the Octopath Traveler: Sound Selections CD [North America only] (the full soundtrack will also be sold separately, at a later date)
- a replica coin based on the in-game currency
Finally, here’s two videos and some pictures for the game (included one for the Wayfare’s Edition):
Octopath Traveler (Switch) comes out on July 13th worldwide. The Upcoming Games page has been updated!