Yesterday, Level-5 shared some more details about Layton’s Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires’ Conspiracy, this time focusing on Episode 03. In this one, an incident occurs at the screening of a movie called “Submarine Attack of Love”, where the millionaires of London (including Mayor Fremens and Clerk Gospec) had gathered.
This movie takes place on a luxurious passenger boat, and is about two lovers on said boat. Various incidents occur, and at the climax, the two lovers are about to give in to despair as their boat is sinking… but then, it suddenly transforms into a submarine, and all ends well (with a kiss, naturally). It looks like that kissing scene, said to take place on the “most romantic deck” is the one scene everyone is talking about.
The problem is… someone “stole” that very scene, and Katrielle ends up looking for the hateful criminal who committed such a heinous crime.
Several characters are introduced, and they’re all tied to the movie in one way or another:
- Harry Gilmont (45 years old): the Director. He used to be a nobody, but his popularity increased notably in the past few years. He’s really passionate about movies;
- Harper Chanploo (52 years old): the Editorial Technician with a lot of experience. He and Glimont don’t really see eye to eye when it comes to the direction of the movie;
- Amon Tread (2 years old): the Projection Technician at Rabbit Star Theatre. Don’t be fooled by his dull appearance: he’s quite skilled as a technician. He loves machines more than anything, especially visual equipment (to the point where he actually gives a name to each machine);
- Priske: a hill myna bird who can speak, albeit only broken phrases. The projection room of the Rabbit Star is his home… at least, that’s where his own keeps him!
Next, we have details about two more mini-games:
- Accessory Shop. In this mini-game, the goal is to sell out items, by placing them on the route customers end up talking within the shop. The thing is, customers will always take the shortest route towards the item they’ve come to buy. If they come across certain items they’re also interested in, they will end up buying them as well. Basically, you have to place the items in such a way that customers buy as many items as possible on their way to their most desired one. The stage is cleared when you’ve sold everything.
- Bumpy Labyrinth. In this mini-game, you get to lead Sherl (Katrielle’s dog, who can speak the human language… as you’ve already seen in the various trailers for the game!) to the goal. Sounds pretty straightforward, no? Well… that certainly would be if Sherl didn’t move in a rather strange way.
Basically, when he starts moving, he keeps going in a straight line until he reaches a dead end. You need to use Bumpy Switches, that lift the floor up and down, in order to stop his path and lead him the way you want him to go. There’s also various mechanisms (such as jumps, or arrows that forces Sherl to move in a certain direction) to take into account.
But just reaching the goal isn’t enough: you also need to find the shortest route possible, with the least number of movements, in order to get a Perfect Clear. Well… that’s only if you want to clear this mini-game like a true gentle(wo)man!
Finally, regarding puzzles, it’s been confirmed that Level-5 would release a new one on a daily basis, and for a full year (so 365 extra puzzles!) following the release of Layton’s Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires’ Conspiracy.
Here’s the latest batch of screenshots for the game:
Layton’s Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires’ Conspiracy (3DS) comes out on July 20th in Japan, and in Early Fall in Europe and North America.