Update: the Backerkit survey for Yooka-Laylee is live, and you can now change your platforms (or ask for a refund)!
Today, Playtonic Games made a few important announcements. The first one: Yooka-Laylee has finally gone gold, 21 months after the extremely successful Kickstarter campaign.
Next: platform survey. Pretty soon, the BackerKit surveys will be unlocked, allowing Kickstarter backers to make final adjustements to their game platform choice. If you want to upgrade to the physical version of the game, or Switch up your Wii U pledge, you will soon be able to do so. Make sure you do have access to your BackerKit account before that, though! For more details, make sure to check out the FAQ.
Here’s what you will be able to do as a Wii U backer:
- Change to a PC digital Steam version (and receive Toybox Plus on PC Steam to compensate for price difference)
- Change to a digital console version (Xbox One, PS4 or Switch)
- Upgrade to a physical console version (Xbox One or PS4 – £20 upgrade cost applies)
- Request a refund (refunds will be issued once we have collated and locked final decisions from all backers)
- NB: if you do not chose another platform, you will automatically get a code for the game on Steam;
A quick note regarding the Nintendo Switch version: the developers are currently working closely with Nintendo on plans for that platform, and more details will be shared in the near future. You will not need to pay for any upgrade, as the game will be delivered via digital download codes. Unfortunately, we do not know whether there will be a retail version down the line just yet.
Finally, Playtonic announced another former RARE developers had joined the Playtonic team… Justin Cook, who started in QA (testing games such as Perfect Dark, Banjo-Tooie and Conker’s Bad Fur Day), before going on to prototype Viva Piñata (he ended up Lead Designer), and working on games like It’s Mr. Pants, the Kinect Sports series, and more.
Here’s what he had to say about his new job:
I came to Playtonic because I like working ‘hands on’ with a game as part of a small team of experts. Joining Playtonic now, feels like a chance to ‘be-there’ at the start of something special.
Yooka-Laylee (Switch – eShop) does not have a release date just yet.
Source: Playtonic Games