Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country – Overview trailer, official website updated
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country comes out in exactly two weeks for players who bought the Expansion Pass for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Today, Nintendo shared the usual overview trailer for the expansion, showing (almost) all the various elements it has to offer.
Here it is:
But that’s not all: the official website was updated, and provides some additional details about the expansion!
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country – Story
The year was 3564. The 107th Indoline Praetor, Rhadallis… had sent an armed expedition against the country of Coeia. Its capital, Omrantha, fell overnight… and sank beneath the clouds, along with the rest of the Titan. It was officially declared that this was the result of the Allied Forces’ assault, mainly Indol and the emerging Mor Ardain, but in fact, it had been the work of One Blade. The Aegis, a man known as Malos.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country – World
Just like the main game, this story expansion takes place in a world where people live on the back of giant beasts known as Titans. In Torna ~ The Golden Country, the events takes place in two of them:
- Torna: a grand country that has long ruled over the world with the power of its mighty Titan. Even nowadays, its glory remains intact, even though its powers have been sealed;
- Gormott: an emerging country, filled with greenery. Two major powers are fighting over it, trying to expand their territory: Torna and Coeia.
Next, we have a new feature that will feel pretty familiar to fans of the Xenoblade Chronicles series: the Community. It basically works like the Affinity Chart of the previous two games: you talk to people, and those characters then get added to the Community chart (not all of them, obviously: only major NPCs).
As you talk to people, you will sometime get quests from them: those quests are actually visible from the Community screen. Clearing those very quests allows you to increase your number of supporters, and as your Community level increases, you get various perks.
Another new element (that was previously showcased at E3 2018): Camps, which are found scattered all around Alrest. There, you can rest a bit during your adventure, but also level up your characters, craft things, and even enjoy conversations with the various characters in your party.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country – Characters
Here’s the key characters:
- Lora (Driver, voiced by Hayami Saori): a young mercenary, searching for her mother. Due to a certain incident, she resonated with Jin when she was young, and the two of them have always been together since. She’s a really kind-hearted person, always looking out for others;
- Jin (Blade, voiced by Takahiro Sakurai): a really powerful Blade, known as “Torna’s Treasure”. One day, his core crystal was stolen, and Lora ended up resonating with him. He will do what it takes to protect her. Even though his combat abilities are without pair, and he’s really skilled with the sword, he strongly dislikes unnecessary conflicts. His attribute is Ice;
- Haze (Blade, voiced by Hayami Saori): it is said that the appearance of a Blade is influence by its Driver, and that’s why Haze looks just like Lora. In battle, she uses Wind-based and healing moves. She also possesses a unique power that allows her to suppress the power of a Blade;
- Addam (Driver, voiced by Yusuke Handa): a prince and the 4th in line to succession. He’s the leader of the Resistance Army, a group of people trying to stop Malos. He’s quite the frank fellow, and doesn’t really behave like a member of royalty. He also happens to be pretty popular with the people. He managed to responate with Mythra, the Aegis, and thus received the order from the King to stop Malos;
- Mythra (Blade, voiced by Shino Shimoji): a legendary Blade known as the Aegis. She was brought to Torna by Amalthus, in order to counter the threat posed by Malos. Due to her overbearing nature, she’s easily misunderstood, but her heart is true. Her attribute is Light;
- Minoth (Blade, voiced by Shinichirou Miki): a Flesh-Eater, a special type of Blade obtained by a Blade with human cells. His attribute is Darkness. He used to be Amalthus’ blade, but the two of them ended up separating. In the game, he’s traveling alongside Addam, helping him on his mission to stop Malos;
- Hugo (Driver, voiced by Akira Ishida): Emperor of Mor Arain, a military state on the rise. He considers it a royal responsability/mission to protect the people, which is why he stands himself on the battlefield. He seems to share a close relationship with Addam, due the two of them sharing some similarities (they’re both royalty, after all);
- Brighid (Blade, voiced by Shizuka Itou): known as “Mor Ardain’s Crown Jewel”. A Blade with the Fire attribute. She serves the Emperor, Hugo, and sometimes even substitutes to him on the battlefield. She’s a really clever person, but deep inside, she has a really strong personality.
- Aegaeon (Blade, voiced by Shuichi Ikeda): a Blade with the Water attribute, who serves Hugo alongside Brighid. He’s always by Hugo’s side. He may be pretty gentle person, he certainly knows how to use his sword. His specialty is fish dishes!
- Malos (Blade, voiced by Yuichi Nakamura): the Aegis, brought back from the World Tree by Amalthus, the Indoline Praetor. Even though he resonated with him, Malos escaped and started spreading chaos and destruction everywhere.
Finally, an interesting tidbit: the website still has one section locked. It’s not clear what it could be, but it seems there’s still a big surprise left to be revealed! This last section should be about the battle system, but why would it be still locked? One thing’s for sure: we don’t have much longer before finding out what is hiding behind that intriguing “coming soon”… the story expansion does come out in two weeks, after all!
To keep up to date with the daily reveals via Twitter, make sure to check out this post!
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country (Switch) comes out on September 14th for owners of the Expansion Pass for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and September 21st at retail.