Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS is the Nintendo 3DS version of Super Mario Maker (originally released on Wii U). It comes out in about two weeks, on December 1st in Japan and December 2nd in Europe / North America.
Starting today, players can pre-order and pre-load the digital version of the game from Nintendo’s website or the Nintendo eShop. If you chose to do so, you will be able to start playing right away on November 30th at 10PM JST, after downloading a small update. We can expect digital pre-orders and pre-loading to go live before the end of the week in North America.
On the official gamepage, in Japan, Nintendo provides some additional details. Let’s start with the restrictions for Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (as opposed to the Wii U version):
- you cannot upload levels you’ve created (was already known)
- you cannot search for courses using the course ID (was already known)
- amiibo are not compatible (that listing on the Nintendo of America’s amiibo website was indeed a mistake);
- you cannot use Costume Mario;
- the game is not compatible with stereoscopic 3D display (game is 2D-only).
Here’s some additional details about the game, including the file size:
- Genre: Create and Play
- Players: 1
- File data files: 1
- Save data file size: 512KB (+ additional storage space when saving created levels)
- File size: 2 909 blocks / 363MB
- Internet features: you can download levels created on the Wii U version of the game;
- Local Play: exchange levels with other players (including unfinished levels)
- StreetPass: exchange levels with other players
Next, here’s some screenshots:
Finally, here’s a commercial for the game:
Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (3DS) comes out on December 1st in Japan, and December 2nd in Europe.