Last month, Yacht Club Games made quite a few announcements regarding Shovel Knight, with a new game revealed (Shovel Knight Showdown), a release date for the King of Cards expansion, and a physical release announced (yes, another one).
Shovel Knight Showdown
This will be the final Shovel Knight game. It allows you to fight against 3 other players (local multiplayer only) as your favourite characters from the “series”… some of them for the very first time ever. If you’re not too fond of multiplayer, fret not: there is a Story Mode!
Like other expansions, it will be available as a free update for players who already own the Treasure Trove version of the game, and will also be released as a stand-alone game. Unfortunately, neither the update or the stand-alone release will be available on Nintendo 3DS.
Here’s the list of key features:
- Play as all the key heroes and villains from Shovel Knight, many for the first time ever! Master over 16 playable characters including Shovel Knight, Shield Knight, Black Knight, The Enchantress, and all of the Knights of the Order of No Quarter!
- Compete in one-on-one duels, frantic 4 player free-for-alls, and cooperative team battles against AI opponents or your friends in modes like Gem Clash, Showdown, and more!
- Battle through Story Mode, a multistage journey customized for each character! Your chosen hero will face a rival, defeat scores of opponents, relax with a minigame or two, and hopefully see their tale completed after an all-new final encounter!
- Explore myriad stages inspired by famous characters and locales in Shovel Knight, as well as a plethora of all-new stages.
- Prepare and perfect your moves in a full-featured practice mode.
- Yacht Club Game’s beautifully authentic style bridges the gap between yesterday and today. Design, art, and audio hearken back to the days of 8-bit, but with a frenetic new coat of paint!
- New songs compliment an award-winning soundtrack composed by Jake “Virt” Kaufman.
- Balanced and intuitive gameplay is a warm welcome to newcomers, and an old embrace for experts.
Source: Yacht Club Games
King of Cards, retail release, amiibo, more
On April 9th, Yacht Club Games will re-release Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove at retail. It will include absolutely every single bit of content ever made for the game: all expansions, including the brand new Shovel Knight Showdown one, and of course King of Cards (both releasing on the exact same day). It will cost $39.99 / 39.99€. Also, the amiibo triple-pack (Plague Knight, Specter Knight, and King Knight) will also be released on the same day.
And just like with the release of Specter of Torment, the price of Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove will increase around this release, so if you want to get everything for $24.99 / 24.99€, don’t wait too long before buying!
Here’s a trailer for Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove:
Here’s all the content included:
- the original Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (including 2 player Co-op and Body Swap)
- Plague of Shadows,
- Specter of Torment
- King of Cards
- Shovel Knight Showdown.
Naturally, there will be no additional downloads or anything: it’s all on the card!… except updates that may be released after launch, of course.
Finally, some quick notes about the amiibo:
- you cannot scan the figures without first removing them from their containers;
- those new amiibo do not allow access to the Custom Knight feature (Shovel Knight amiibo in Shovel of Hope-only);
- support for those amiibo will be added to the Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, and Nintendo Switch version with the arrival of King of Cards;
- the amiibo are not available for purchase separately.
The Upcoming Games page has been updated!
Source: Yacht Club Games