Update: Deep Silver has confirmed that Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth would also be released in Europe, presumably at the same time as North America.
Last year, in August, Atlus released the 5th main entry in the Etrian Odyssey series in Japan. Called Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth, it’s yet to be released in North America (and Europe), and the many months without even a hint of a localisation left many a fan wondering if it would ever be released outside Japan.
But today, Atlus finally announced that Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth would be released in North America (and Europe) this Fall! Just like Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, it will feature only English voices.
In this game, the 5th one in the main series, you once again get to lead a team of adventurer in monster-filled labyrinths. Your quest will have you try and reach the top of the Yggdrasil Tree, in order to have your great wish fulfilled. Naturally, it features the staple features of the Etrian Odyssey series: map making, party building, FOE, and more.
Here’s the announcement trailer and some screenshots in English:
And here’s the main features:
- A Choose-your-own-odyssey Feel – Starting with the creation of your party to exploring the uncharted labyrinth of the Yggdrasil Tree, Beyond the Myth is all about choosing how your own adventure unfolds. Test your survival skills by wisely navigating the winding floors of Yggdrasil, using shrewd tactics when battling gruesome beasts, making the right decisions during various “scenarios,” and more. To meet these challenges, the home base city of Iorys is ready for all your buying/selling, recruiting, and information-gathering needs!
- Gameplay Fit for a True Pathfinder – It wouldn’t be an Etrian Odyssey game without the life-or-death need to map your progress. For those new to the series, the bottom screen of the 3DS displays a top-down, tile-based map that must be filled out while dungeon crawling. Players can use the map to mark the locations of treasures, doors, enemies, environmental obstructions, and more. Expect the unexpected at every turn–and then make a note on the map so it’s not so unexpected next time!
- Epic Turn-based Battles – There’s a reason why no one has ever reached the top of Yggdrasil. Dangerous creatures and utterly terrifying FOEs–high-level mini-bosses, for you newcomers–roam the labyrinth on every floor, so prepare to test your mettle with challenging turn-based battles. Proper planning is a must and balancing strong party composition is absolutely crucial for success. You’ll need the right team to unleash Union Attacks and level the playing field!
- Expanded Character Creation and Customization – With four unique races, 10 distinct classes, more customization options than any previous game in the franchise, and a streamlined skill tree/class advancement, you can shape a party to whatever your heart desires.
- A Magical Art Style and Score – Longtime series illustrator Yuji Himukai and renowned composer Yuzo Koshiro return to add their signature magic to the art and music in the game.
Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth (3DS) will be released this Fall in North America. The Upcoming Releases page has been updated!