Yesterday, on the last day of EGX, Playtonic Games held a panel about their upcoming 3D platformer, Yooka-Laylee. They also debuted a brand new trailer, which showcases the many colourful characters that will appear in the game.
- Yooka and Laylee: the two protagonists
- Capital B: the big, bad guy (click here for more details)
- Dr. Quack, who works with Capital B (click here for more details)
- Rextro: a dinosaur who simply loves retro games
- Dr. Puzz, who used to be Dr. Quack’s sweet and naive prodigy (click here for more details)
- and more…
But the trailer also reveals a brand new character which isn’t even from the right game… Shovel Knight! It looks like our good knight has been busy shovelling in other games lately, as he also appear as a special boss in Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 if you scan his amiibo in-game.
Here’s the latest trailer for Yooka-Laylee:
Here’s what Yacht Club Games had to say about Shovel Knight appearing in Yooka-Laylee:
Whoahhh!!!! Isn’t it amazing to see Shovel Knight rendered in 3D?! It was a team effort too! Our very own Sean Velasco made all the funny noises for Shovel Knight’s voice. Is that what Shovel Knight really sounds like?
Yacht Club Games designed and built the model itself while Playtonic rigged and animated it to life. Shovel Knight sure looks comfortable in a 3D world. Who knows…maybe one day we’ll see Shovel Knight running and jumping around his very own 64-styled adventure! Wouldn’t that be neat?
Yooka-Laylee (Wii U eShop) comes out in Q1 2017.