Earlier this year, SEGA teased a new Sonic racing game during its panel at SXSW 2018. And today, several weeks later, the game was finally revealed: it’s called Team Sonic Racing, and it will be released this Winter on Nintendo Switch (retail + Nintendo eShop).
Here’s the debut trailer (that shows exactly 0 second of actual gameplay footage):
This brand new game is being developed by Sumo Digital, who previously worked on Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. It’s said to combine the “best elements of arcade and fast-paced competitive style racing” and “unique vehicle customization options”.
You can play as various characters from the Sonic universe, such as Sonic, Shadow, Tails, and more (it doesn’t look like there will be guest characters from other SEGA games).
The game can be played solo, or with friends, with up to 12 drivers per race. Various game modes are available: Grand Prix, Time Trial, Team Adventure, and more. SEGA also mentions several character types, car customization options, and more.
Here’s the list of key features:
- Online Multiplayer & Local Co-Op Modes – 12 players per race, 4 player split screen, and various offline / online race modes including Grand Prix Mode, Exhibition Mode, Time-Trial and Team Adventure Mode.
- Team Racing – Race as a team, win as a team. Use various team moves to assist your teammates, knock out opponents and unleash your Team Ultimate.
- Performance & Skin Customization – Alter the appearance and handling of your vehicle.
- Wisps – 14 spectacular offensive and defensive items to help overcome rival teams and get ahead!
- Adventure Mode – Unique story experience where players are introduced to basic game features and characters.
- Various Characters and Types – 15 playable characters from across the Sonic Universe and 3 distinct character types including Speed, Technique, and Power.
Finally, here’s a few screenshots:
Team Sonic Racing (Switch) comes out this Winter in Europe and North America. The Upcoming Games page has been updated!
Source: SEGA PR