Last year, E3 was open to the public for the very first time. As a result, things quickly became chaotic on Nintendo’s booth, with tons of people lining up to check out the latest Nintendo Switch games from the company. And this year isn’t going to be any better, especially not with the new Super Smash Bros. game (for Nintendo Switch) playable for the very first time!
To avoid insanely long lines, and to allows attendees to spend more time to enjoy the rest of the show, Nintendo has decided to make it so a ticket will be required to try out the new Super Smash Bros. game at E3 2018. Players will have to book reseve play slots ahead of time, which will make for a faster and smoother experience on the showfloor. Don’t worry: tickets are completely free, though you can only get one!
When booking your ticket, you will have to choose between two options (you can only pick one!):
- For Fun: for players who just want to have a fun, casual match with other players
- For Glory: for players lookin for a challenge in a competitive elimination match.
- “Test your skills and see how you stack up against other competitive players. Winners advance to play in up to three rounds, after which an overall winner is declared.”
Here’s how the reservation system works:
- Anyone who registers for E3 2018 by May 31 will receive an email from E3 organizers on June 5 with details about how to reserve one electronic ticket to play the game (available while time slots last). Attendees should make sure to add email@example.com to their safe sender lists so the email doesn’t get lost in their junk folders.
- Signing up to play the game ahead of time is mandatory. No on-site registration will be available.
- Tickets will be in the form of QR Code patterns that can be stored on a smartphone or printed out.
- Reservations will not be taken for any other games at Nintendo’s booth, which will be available to play on a first-come, first-served basis.
Nintendo specifies that a ticket will only be required to play Super Smash Bros. on Nintendo Switch: all the other games on Nintendo’s booth will be played on a first-come, first-served basis (as usual).
But that’s not the only bit of E3-related news Nintendo had for us today. The company also announced that players who bring their Nintendo Switch to the showfloor, and are spotted playing it on the Nintendo booth or around the Los Angeles Convention Center by Nintendo staff, will receive an exclusive collectible Nintendo Switch pin (while supplies last). Of course, it’s also the occasion for you to have a game or two with other players!
Super Smash Bros. (Switch) comes out later this year worldwide.