It’s been a while since we last saw Bomberman in action on consoles, but he’s making a comeback in Super Bomberman R on the Nintendo Switch. The gameplay is the same: you move around levels, placing bombs as you go to defeat enemies or opponents.
Two games modes have been announced:
- Battle mode: can be played with up to 8 players, online or locally;
- Story mode: can be played in Single Player or in co-op. Features 50 levels, including some with different rules than usual (where you don’t necessarily have to wipe out all enemies to clear it).
Here’s the debut trailer and some screenshots for Super Bomberman R on the Nintendo Switch:
And here’s the main features of the game:
- Bomberman is back with the same game system and controllability with a fresh take on a classic title
- Photo-real graphics
- Bomberman’s siblings and well-known enemies are back with rich personality
- 3D stages with dynamic environments
- Battle mode for maximum of 8 players, local connection battles, and online battles
- Enriched story with all-star voice actors
If you’re wondering why a game like Super Bomberman R happened in the first place, Siliconera has some interesting details to share. According to a representative from Konami, it all happened thanks to Nintendo and Konami coming together to make it happen.
The game is developed both internally by Konami developers (including former Hudson Soft developers), and Hexadrive (who previously worked on The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD).
Super Bomberman R (Switch) will be released on March 3rd, worldwide.