Today, Nintendo held its 78th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders. As usual, the company had shareholders vote on several proposals, with the most important one being the election and re-election of Directors.
This year, the proposals were as follows:
- Proposal No. 1: Distribution of Surplus [note: how the money made during the previous Fiscal Year) will be used
- Proposal No. 2: Election of Five Directors (excluding Directors who are Audit and Supervisory Committee Members)
- Proposal No. 3: Election of Four Directors who are Audit and Supervisory Committee Members
Unsurprisingly, all proposals were approved by shareholders. Concretely, that means that Shigeru Miyamoto, Shinya Takahashi, Shuntaro Furukawa, Ko Shiota, Satoru Shibata, Naoki Noguchi, Naoki Mizutani, Katsuhiro Umeyama, and Masao Yamazaki were all elected / re-elected as Directors.
As usual, we will have to wait a few days before getting the results for each of the votes, and therefore the approval rate for each Director.
After the meeting, the Board of Directors appointed Shuntaro Furukawa as Representative Director and President. In other words: as of today, he’s the big boss of the company, replacing Tatsumi Kimishima (who has now retired). Shigeru Miyamoto will act as Representative Director. Finally, Naoki Noguchi was appointed and assumed office as Full-time Audit and Supervisory Committee Member.
But that’s not all: Nintendo of Europe has also announced a new senior management structure, following Satoru Shibata’s return to Japan. He first joined Nintendo in 1985, before moving to Nintendo UK in 1993, to Nintendo Australia in 1996, and joining Nintendo of Europe as president in 2000 (a position he held for 18 years).
As announced previously, Satoru Shibata is now General Manager of the Marketing Division as well as of the Licensing Division, and is a member of the Board of Directors as of today.
In order to replace him, the European subsidiary is getting a new senior management structure on July 1st:
- Koji Miyake (former General Manager of the Human Resources Department at Nintendo Co., Ltd) will join the company as CEO/Chairman;
- Stephan Bole will become President and COO (Chief Operating Officer)
- Luciano Pereña will become CFO (Chief Financial Officer)
- Laurent Fischer will become CMO (Chief Managing Officer)
Stephan Bole used to be Managing Director at Nintendo France from 2001 to 2015, as well as Senior Managing Director Corporate Strategy from 2009 to 2015 and Senior Manage Director European Subsidiaries & Affiliates from 2015 to 2018 at Nintendo of Europe.
Source: Nintendo + PR