A few months ago, Playtonic Games confirmed that the Wii U version of Yooka-Laylee had been cancelled, and that the game would be released on the Nintendo Switch instead. Unfortunately, we haven’t heard much about this version of the game, though we do know the team is hard at work to make it happen.
Earlier this week, Playtonic Games shared the very first (offscreen) screenshot of Yooka-Laylee running on the Nintendo Switch:
Playtonic Games explain that they will soon be entering the testing phase for this version of the game, and if everything goes well, they will have release date shortly after. They also confirm that all the important additions and changes from the first major update will be included on day one!
You’re probably asking yourself “Wait, what additions? What changes?” right now, so here’s the list of additions and changes for the Spit ‘N’ Polish update:
- Brand new pause menu music
- New optional camera mode with minimal assist
- Pagies have added signposts to Hivory Towers to help guide players to new worlds
- Design tweaks to all arcade games
- Speed improvement to scrolling through Totals Menu
- New option for shorter ‘gibberish’ voice sound FX
- New speech volume option
- New ability to speed through dialogue by holding Y
- Cut-scenes can now be skipped with Y
- New moves section added to pause menu, with image guide
- Camera design improvements throughout game (less scripted cameras, door cams now appear behind player etc)
- Restart option added in the pause menu during arcade games and Kartos challenges
- ‘Sonar-able’ objects now have more clear visual identity
- Laser move no longer requires player to crouch
- Minecart control improvements and new visual effects
- Transformation control improvements
- Improved first-person aiming controls
- New first-person aiming control options added
- Improved flying controls
- When transformed, collecting butterflies now restores energy
- Hunter tonic now tracks the last 30 Quills and Casino Tokens, in addition to the Health and Power Extenders. It will also whistle at the location of the closest rare collectable.
- Health UI is now always visible when low
- Design tweaks in various areas (Black Hole in One, Gloomy Gem Grotto etc)
- New icons added for keyboard/mouse controls
- Improved Rampo boss fight
- Added PC Display Settings to the in-game pause menu
- Performance improvements
- Audio improvements
The update will also feature extensive list of bug fixes, which should resolve most common issues with the game. Patch notes will be shared at a later date.
Yooka-Laylee (Switch – eShop) will be released later this year.
Source: Playtonic Games