Yesterday, Capcom announced a new game for the Nintendo Switch, and it’s yet another remaster. But this time, it’s for a game that was never released on a Nintendo console before (in fact, only one spin-off from that series made it to such a platform): Onimusha, and more precisely the very first game, Onimusha: Warlords (originally released on PlayStation 2.
Onimusha: Warlords on Nintendo Switch will be released on December 20th in Japan (retail + digital), and January 15th in Europe and North America (digital-only). It will cost $15.99.
Here’s the debut trailer:
Never heard of the game before? Here’s what it’s all about:
Onimusha: Warlords was first unsheathed in 2001 on PlayStation 2 and introduced players to a world seething in darkness, magic, and demonic greed. Set in feudal Japan after the events of a revolutionary battle, it told the tale of the honorific samurai Samanosuke Akechi and ninja Kaede on a quest to save Princess Yuki from mysterious demons who have invaded Inabayama Castle. As the two travel throughout the castle, they unravel a malevolent plot by those who would serve the evil lord Nobunaga Oda. Upon its release, Onimusha: Warlords sold over 2 million copies worldwide and quickly became a beloved game due to its sword-based gameplay, stunning graphics that exuded a cinematic feel, and riveting story engulfed with strife.
Though merely human, Samanosuke is able to vanquish the demons infesting the castle and gains the Oni Gauntlet, which allows him to absorb their souls for multiple purposes like health regeneration and improving weapons. Coupled with three elemental blades he collects along the way, Samanosuke utilizes his vast arsenal of weapons in his quest to save Princess Yuki. In certain segments of the game, you control Kaede, who wields her own kit of tricky weapons perfect for taking down unsuspecting demons.
This remaster will over various new features and improvements, such as:
- HD graphics: characters, background graphics, and even cutscenes got the HD upgrade;
- New Display Options: you can choose between 4:3 (original), and the new 16:9 mode. What’s more, you can even switch from one to the other at any time, though specific screens (including parts of the menu screens) are fixed at either 16:9 or 4:3;
- Screen Scroll (widescreen display-only): background scrolls up and down according to your movements, showing areas that cannot be fully be displayed from certain positions;
- Analog Stick Support: allows you to move using the analog sticks (though the controls from the original are still available);
- Easy Mode: unlocked from the beginning;
- Sound: features a brand new soundtrack and Japanese voices.
Finally, here’s some screenshots:
Onimusha: Warlords (Switch) comes out on December 20th in Japan, and January 15th in Europe and North America. The Upcoming Games page has been updated!