Japan: more sales data for Week 36 2017, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (Media Create, Dengeki, Famitsu)

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2

Week 36 (Media Create)

Today, Media Create published their weekly report on video game sales in Japan during Week 36, 2017. It reveals that total Software sales topped 380 000 units, which is 76.23% of Week 35 sales. There were a few releases this week, on both Nintendo and Sony platforms, but none of them sold more than 100 000 units, and overall, it was a rather slow week.

Hardware sales did top 100 000 units this week, helped by the new PlayStation 4 Pro colour, but since sales of Nintendo platforms dropped this week, so did total sales (93.70% of Week 35 sales, a rather limited drop all things considered).

Source: Media Create

Day 1 Sell-through (Media Create)

Here’s the Day 11 sell-through data for a couple of Nintendo Switch games:

  • [NSW] Winning Post 8 2017 <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.800) – 20%
  • [NSW] Champion Jockey Special <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.800) – 20%

A pretty slow start for both games, but that’s not really surprising for full-priced late ports.

Source: Media Create
Via: hiska-kun (NeoGAF)

Week 36 (Dengeki)

Dengeki report that Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 sold 24 000 during its launch week, with a sell-through ratio of 80% (so, about 30 000 units shipped for launch day). This means that the game did sell out in some stores, but it was still possible to get the game by looking around.

Unfortunately, it’s not clear when the second shipment is going to come, but it’s definitely not going to be before retailers sell out anycopies they might have left. Bandai-Namco did promise additional shipments at the end of the month, which means that finding a copy in stores was much more difficult during the second week.

Dengeki point out that there’s only one month left in the first half of the year, so they’re sharing some more data. First, they remain us that the market has been shrinking for the past 10 years, since the peak in Fiscal Year 2007, but we might see a turnaround this year thanks to Splatoon 2 and Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age.

Here’s Software and Hardware sales for the first 5 months of the current Fiscal Year:

  • Hardware: 63.7 billion Yen (+80.8%)
  • Software: 68.8 billion Yen (+13.8%)
  • Total: 132.5 billion Yen (+38.5%)

For the first time in 10 years, the market as a whole is enjoying a really nice increase in sales. But. Because, yes, there’s a but. Looking closely at Software sales specifically, Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age and Splatoon 2 account for 36% of total sales.

But even more striking than that is the fact that only two publishers account for nearly 70% of sales. Square-Enix is #1 with 34.7% of sales, and Nintendo is #2 with 32%. Together, they account for 66.7% of total Software sales during the first 5 months of Fiscal Year 2017-18. All the other publishers have to share the remaining 33.3%.

So while the market as a whole is finally up, there are clear winners and clear losers there. Dengeki hopes that from September onward, more publishers will have hits on their hands, and that the industry as a whole (not just a few key players) will be rejuvenated.

Next, here’s Software sales for each platform:

Platform This week This week (%) Fiscal Year Fiscal Year (%)
PS4 166,850 42.3% 3,687,505 30.5%
PS3 2,681 0.7% 72,558 0.6%
Vita 35,939 9.1% 712,915 5.9%
Switch 97,561 24.7% 2,778,738 23.0%
Wii U 3,940 1.0% 177,577 1.5%
3DS 87,572 22.2% 4,637,811 38.4%
X One 176 0.0% 6,794 0.1%
Total 394,719 100.0% 12,073,898 100.0%

And here’s Hardware sales:

Platforms This week This week (%) Fiscal Year Fiscal Year (%)
PS4 27,628 31.6% 667,255 25.8%
PS3 99 0.1% 6,397 0.2%
Vita 3,449 3.9% 110,992 4.3%
Switch 37,146 42.5% 1,060,880 41.0%
Wii U 50 0.1% 3,689 0.1%
3DS 9,115 10.4% 380,036 14.7%
2DS 9,824 11.2% 356,078 13.8%
X One 45 0.1% 1,949 0.1%
Total 87,356 100.0% 2,587,276 100.0%

Finally, here’s the Top 50 Software:

01./00. [PS4] Destiny 2 (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.09.08} – 58,606 / NEW
02./02. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} – 36,269 / 1,125,504
03./01. [PS4] Everybody’s Golf (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.08.31} – 26,194 / 131,000
04./00. [NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.09.07} – 24,395 / NEW
05./05. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} – 18,506 / 1,725,610
06./04. [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross: Nintendo Switch Ver. (Capcom) {2017.08.25} – 11,172 / 132,576
07./09. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} – 10,356 / 726,925
08./00. [PSV] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! Kono Yokubukai Game ni Shinpan o! (5pb.) {2017.09.07} – 8,981 / NEW
09./07. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} – 8,963 / 1,326,082
10./08. [3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (Level 5) {2017.08.10} – 7,770 / 156,509
11./03. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 (Atlus) {2017.08.31} – 7,460 / 38,229
12./00. [PS4] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! Kono Yokubukai Game ni Shinpan o! (5pb.) {2017.09.07} – 7,106 / NEW
13./00. [PSV] Moujuu-Tachi to Ohimesama: In Blossom (Idea Factory) {2017.09.07} – 4,273 / NEW
14./10. [PS4] Resident Evil: Revelations (Capcom) {2017.08.31} – 4,133 / 13,983
15./06. [PS4] Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon (Koei Tecmo) {2017.08.31} – 3,619 / 24,275
16./13. [NSW] ARMS (Nintendo) {2017.06.16} – 3,594 / 224,753
17./15. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} – 3,400 / 549,681
18./18. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Welcome amiibo (Nintendo) {2016.11.23} – 2,967 / 214,058
19./19. [PS4] Hitman: The Complete First Season (Square Enix) {2017.08.10} – 2,663 / 34,954
20./00. [PSV] Iwaihime: Matsuri (Nippon Ichi Software) {2017.09.07} – 2,425 / NEW
21./25. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross (Capcom) {2017.03.18} – 2,350 / 1,641,599
22./27. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} – 2,300 / 1,003,012
23./24. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2015.10.08} – 2,272 / 308,893
24./31. [PSV] Minecraft: Playstation Vita Edition (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2015.03.19} – 2,228 / 1,130,256
25./29. [PS4] Minecraft: Playstation 4 Edition (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2015.12.03} – 2,206 / 246,793
26./00. [PS4] WarTech: Senko no Rondo (Kadokawa Games) {2017.09.07} – 2,193 / NEW
27./33. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki (Level 5) {2016.12.15} – 2,022 / 790,830
28./16. [PS4] Yomawari: Midnight Shadows (Nippon Ichi Software) {2017.08.24} – 2,013 / 16,666
29./30. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.04.27} – 1,994 / 197,524
30./23. [3DS] Layton’s Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire’s Conspiracy (Level 5) {2017.07.20} – 1,967 / 132,018
31./21. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin (Nintendo) {2017.07.13} – 1,933 / 139,224
32./26. [PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.08.03} – 1,906 / 46,237
33./41. [PS4] Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft) {2015.12.10} – 1,867 / 228,488
34./28. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 – Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Kakugo (Capcom) {2017.08.03} – 1,817 / 85,200
35./00. [PS4] Iwaihime: Matsuri (Nippon Ichi Software) {2017.09.07} – 1,813 / NEW
36./34. [NSW] 1-2-Switch (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} – 1,778 / 266,521
37./11. [PSV] Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon (Koei Tecmo) {2017.08.31} – 1,767 / 8,462
38./20. [PS4] Dragon Quest X: All in One Package (Square Enix) {2017.08.17} – 1,765 / 22,541
39./38. [PS4] NieR Automata (Square Enix) {2017.02.23} – 1,750 / 353,415
40./32. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko, Dokonan Desu? (Nippon Columbia) {2017.07.20} – 1,650 / 48,725
41./36. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo) {2016.12.01} – 1,583 / 1,100,016
42./17. [PSV] Yomawari: Midnight Shadows (Nippon Ichi Software) {2017.08.24} – 1,538 / 16,291
43./39. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} – 1,294 / 2,666,439
44./12. [3DS] Jake Hunter Detective Story: Ghost of the (Arc System Works) {2017.08.31} – 1,260 / 7,053
45./40. [3DS] Pokemon Sun (Pokemon Co.) {2016.11.18} – 1,222 / 1,733,117
46./45. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III – Game of the Year Edition (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.06.29} – 1,100 / 21,251
47./14. [NSW] Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon (Koei Tecmo) {2017.08.31} – 1,063 / 5,470
48./62. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX (Square Enix) {2017.03.09} – 1,050 / 124,467
49./35. [NSW] One Piece: Unlimited World Red – Deluxe Edition (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.08.24} – 1,039 / 7,374
50./52. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Microsoft Game Studios) {2016.06.23} – 1,026 / 328,765

Source: Dengeki
Top 50 data compiled by ZSaberLink (NeoGAF)

Click here for more Japanese sales data!


twittergoogle_plusredditmail

About

Founder and main writer for Perfectly Nintendo. Tried really hard to find something funny and witty to put here, but had to admit defeat. Also known as Maintenance Guy by some. Twitter: @lite_agent