Today, Media Create released its weekly report for video game sales in Japan, providing us with more sales data for Week 25. During that week, a total of 419 000 units were sold for Software, which is 145.61% of Week 24 sales. This significant increase is due to the popular new releases, including Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns, which sold over 100 000 units during its launch week (sell-through ratio: 61.29%).
Here’s a comparison with the previous entry in the series:
- Story of Seasons – 131 000 units at launch (sell-through ratio: 73.07%)
- Story of seasons: Trio of Towns – 100 000 units at launch (sell-through ratio: 61.29%), 163 679 units shipped
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns did sell less than the previous entry, but Media Create does note something peculiar. According to retailers, the game was purchased by a noticeable amount of fans in their 30s, which means that the series still has a strong following more than 20 years after the launch of the very first Harvest Moon game.
Here’s how the previous two games in the series sold in total:
- Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning (2012): 287.000 units
- Story of Seasons (2014): 286.000 units
Media Create notes that sales have been pretty steady for the series on Nintendo 3DS, and they expect that trend to continue with Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns.
New releases did perform significantly better during Week 25 (about 4 times better than during Week 24), with a total of 208 000 units sold.
Head after the break for the rest of this post!
Finally, here’s first-day sell-through for this week’s new releases:
- Zero Time Dilemma (Spike Chunsoft) (¥5.800): 20% (as opposed to 40% for the PS Vita version)
- [3DS] Shovel Knight <ACT> (Nintendo): not very good…
According to Degenki, June wasn’t too good a month for the Japanese market. A total of 235 000 consoles were sold, which is a drop of 11.5% Year on Year. Software-wise, things are worse: 1 464 000 units were sold, which is a drop of 26.9% compared to the same month last year. If you look at sales in Yen, you have:
- Hardware: 6.2 billion Yen (-10.9%)
- Software: 8.4 billion Yen (-23.8%)
- Total: 14.5 billion Yen (from 17.9 billion Yen, -18.8%)
And here’s the best-selling games for June 2016:
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice (3DS): 233 333 units sold
- Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (3DS): 112 000 units sold
- Dragon Quest Heroes II (PSV): 75 000 units sold
- Dragon Quest Heroes II (PS4): 74 000 units sold
- Taiko Drum Master: Dokodon! Mystery Adventure (3DS): 48 000 units