Last year, Kong Studios announced that Guardian Tales (a fantasy retro-style game with a top-down view) was headed to the Nintendo Switch in a special version tailor-made for it. It was originally slated for a 2021 release, but in the end, it’s later today / early tomorrow that it will launch on the Nintendo eShop. Just like the mobile version, it will be playable for free (with the usual micro-transactions, of course).
To be precise, the game will launch at the following time in each region:
- Europe: October 4th at 4AM
- UK: October 4th at 3AM
- North America (ET): October 3rd at 10PM
- North America (PT): October 3rd at 7PM
- Japan: October 4th at 11AM
Players who log-in during the launch month will be able to claim the following goodies as bonuses (from the [Mail] menu):
- 100,000 Gold
- 3,000 Free Gems
- 100 Free Summons (10 per day)
- 3 Star Equipment (Fantasy Sword)
- 2 Star Hero (Aoba)
- A Rose Knight Costume
This Nintendo Switch version of Guardian Tales offers a different experience compared to the mobile version: it’s playable on a big screen, it offers Joy-Con controls (with controller customization, allowing you to remap controls to your liking), and it allows players to compete in a PvP setting on a single server.
Here’s a trailer for Guardian Tales for Nintendo Switch:
And here’s some more details, the list of key features, and some pictures (including some pixel art of some of the characters):
The retro style of the game will give Nintendo fans a sense of nostalgia for old-school Nintendo games such as Zelda’s A Link to the Past. Players, referred to as Guardians, will start the game off as a recruit on the day their kingdom gets attacked. It will be up to them to become a legend and save the kingdom from powerful enemies.
Guardian Tales will be a brand new experience for those who have not played the mobile version before. In the Nintendo Switch version, fans can enjoy the game on a larger screen, allowing them to become more immersed in the gameplay. Adding the use of the JoyCon allows for more accessible and more detailed gameplay. The controller customization function will also allow players to map the operation button in their style conveniently. Also, unlike the mobile version, Guardians worldwide can meet and compete in a PvP setting on a single server.
Guardian Taleshas many characters for the Guardians to meet along the way. Certain characters will even join the Guardians on their journey to save the Kingdom. With the power of friendship, these characters will act as teammates aiding in battle with a fiery offense or providing support. Players can obtain over 90 characters in Guardian Tales through story progression or unlocking them in the in-game store.
- Single Player Story Mode: This is the signature mode of Guardian Tales. Guardians must solve different puzzles to uncover secrets in this immersive story of good versus evil. Players will also fight monsters to clear missions in this fantasy adventure which also takes on a comedic approach.
- Guilds: Players can join a Guild with others after progressing through some of the story. There are different events guild members can take part in, like Raids for ranking regards, Meteor Excavation for items, and Guild Conquests, where players fight to win as many rewards as possible.
- Customizable Floating Castle(Heavenhold): Build up your base of operations at Heavenhold. Players can enjoy different foods and entertainment unlocked throughout their playthrough.
- Hero and Weapon Collection: It’s dangerous to go alone! Collect and choose from over 100 different weapons – each with its unique abilities.
- Puzzle Solving Gameplay: Lift heavy boulders, throw explosive bombs, and sling yourself across obstacles to discover hidden pathways to amazing treasures!
- Intense PvP and Rankings: Assemble and synergize your best party of three heroes to face others in real-time in combat for glory!
Guardian Tales (Switch – eShop) comes out on October 3rd in North America, and October 4th in Europe and Japan.
Source: Kong Studios PR