Every week, plenty of new indie games are announced for the Nintendo Switch. Some of them are “mere” ports of titles previously released on other platforms, others are brand new games. Some of them are even exclusives, and that’s the case of Castle of Heart (developed by 7levels), releasing in Q1 2018!
Castle of Heart is a described as a “classic action platformer at the genre’s best and most challenging, with plentiful of new twists on the formula to experience”. You get to play as a cursed knight who has been turned to stone by an evil sorcerer, but is more than to prove that love and courage can overcome even the darkest of magic.
Because of the curse, the knight’s body can disintegrate permanently if he loses too much energy. And the only way to get some back is by… defeating enemies. If his energy drops below a certain level, the knight can lose an arm… along with the ability to wield weapons with it!
The game offers no less than 20 levels, set in 4 distinct environments, and has you travel all the way from the knight’s petrified village to the dark ruler’s castle. Each level is filled with enemies, each requiring a specific strategy to defeat, as well as “sudden gameplay changes”. The developers promise “exciting, dynamic action sequences”.
To defeat those enemies, you can use no less than 50 different types of weapons, that get progressively more powerful as you progress through the game. You start with a humble sword, and can end up with powerful magic. There’s also various power-ups for you to use.
As far as graphics are concerned, Castle of Hearts offers “beautiful and detailed 3D graphics”, with changing landscapes, but also weather effects, and rich bacekgrounds. The developers explain that the overall artstyle and the bestiary are inspired by Slavic mythology, and the dark fantasy atmosphere of classic action platformers. Some of the locations are based on actual places from Poland (the developer’s home country).
Here’s a teaser trailer and a list of key features:
- A unique main character: a knight turned into stone who needs to keep fighting to avoid disintegrating
- 20 completely different levels in 4 beautiful environments loosely inspired by real-life locations
- Roughly 50 types of both short- and long-range weapons, allowing each gamer to find theirown, individual combat style
- HD Rumble support, further increasing players’ immersion
- At least 7 hours of addictive, exciting gameplay
- Epic boss fights at the end of every location
- Breathtaking graphic design
- Numerous power-ups that enrich the gameplay
Finally, here’s some screenshots for the game:
Castle of Heart (Switch – eShop) will be released in Q1 2018 in Europe and North America. The Upcoming Games page has been updated!