Today, Nintendo talked about amiibo on its Topics “blog”, in Japan. The company revealed that there’s now over 20 games compatible with amiibo on both the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, with more to come in 2016 (which isn’t surprising, given how much emphasis Nintendo has been putting on amiibo).
To promote amiibo, Nintendo is going to launch a special campaign on January 28th in Japan. By buying an amiibo, players can receive a pamphlet with download codes for Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge (on both the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS). The promotion will run until there’s no more download codes to distribute. NB: some retailers may not take part in this promotion (such as all online retailers).
Good news for those who already own some amiibo, and don’t want to purchase any to get Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge, the game will be released for everyone on the Nintendo eShop, but at a later date.
Here’s a promotional video for the campaign:
Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge
First, let’s start with some “technical” details about the game:
- Genre: Action, Puzzle
- Players: 1
- Save data files: 1
- Fileszie: over 322MB (Wii U) / over 2 400 blocks ~ 300MB (3DS)
- 3D: No
The website confirms that the levels are exactly the same on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, so you don’t have to worry if you only have one of the two platforms (or if you prefer to play on your TV / handheld).
The following amiibo are compatible:
- Yoshi (Super Mario series, Super Smash Bros. series, Mega Yarn Yoshi, Green Yarn Yoshi, Blue Yarn Yoshi, Pink Yarn Yoshi)
- Toad (Super Mario series)
- Mario (Super Mario series, Super Smash Bros. series, 30th Anniversary series Classic Colours, 30th Anniversary Modern Colours, Super Mario series Gold, Dr. Mario)
- Luigi (Super Mario series, Super Smash Bros. series)
- Peach (Super Mario series, Super Smash Bros. series)
- Diddy Kong (Super Smash Bros. series)
- Donkey Kong (Super Smash Bros. series)
- Bowser (Super Mario series, Super Smash Bros. series)
- Bowser Jr. (Super Smash Bros. series)
- Rosalina (Super Smash Bros. series)
- all other amiibo (unlock a special character: Mini Spec)
Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge – Gameplay
To play, you simply need to tap an amiibo on the GamePad / touchscreen of the New Nintendo 3DS (or the NFC Adapter), and the corresponding character corresponding appears in-game. The gameplay is pretty much the same as in the Mario vs Donkey Kong games: you have to guide toys characters through various levels, while avoiding pits and enemies. To do so, you need to draw bridges on the touchscreen.
You can also place pipes using the touchscreen, which allows you to reach another area in the level. In each level, there’s various”tricks” to use, in order to reach the goal (such as canons, which allow you to break certain blocks).
Apparently, each character has its own abilities (see below for the list!). For example:
- Mini-Mario can use wall jumps to reach high areas
- Mini-Bowser can destroy blocks by doing a ground pound
Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenges has two types of levels:
- regular levels that any characters can complete
- special levels, which are only for certain characters. There’s various themes: Haunted Mansion for Luigi, Rosalina’s Observatory for Rosalina, the Jungle for Diddy and Donkey Kong, and more.
To reach the second kind of levels, you need to find and use secret exits (with a special door featuring a picture of the character who can use it). They lead to special worlds with levels designed for a specific character. In total, Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenges features over 60 levels.
Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge – Characters
- Mini Mario: wall jumps
- Mini Luigi: jumps higher than the other characters
- Mini Peach: can float in the air for a few seconds (just like in Super Mario Bros. 2)
- Mini Toad: can get through very small gaps
- Mini Donkey Kong: can climb steep hills
- Mini Diddy Kong: can grab platforms while falling
- Mini Bowser: can do a ground pound to destroy blocks
- Mini Bowser Jr.: can use the Clown Car to jump on spikes
- Mini Yoshi: can eat enemies
- Mini Rosalina: can use a Super Jump