Cat-astrophe Games have announced their latest game for the Nintendo Switch: Theatre of Sorrows, a 2D rogue-lite featuring branching narrative and elements of resource management. No release date yet, unfortunately!
In the mean time, here’s a trailer, some details, the list of key features, and some screenshots:
The newest game developed by Cat-astrophe Games, published by Ultimate Games and MobilWay, combines the creepiness of cosmic horror with a procedurally-generated map, branching narrative and a dash of resource management.
The story focuses on Eileen and Killian – a pair of twins whose quiet and normal life gets abruptly destroyed by a dark cult. In an attempt to save his sister, Killian agrees to comply with their demands and travels to the mysterious island of Esha. There he will have to navigate his way through the unknown territory with only a handful of hints that might lead him to a dangerous discovery about things that should have probably been consigned to oblivion…
When a dark cult abducts his sibling, there’s nothing else Killian can do but to comply with their demands. In order to save his sister he travels to the mysterious island of Esha – a place forgotten by even gods themselves, where the unspeakable ritual is about to take place.
Join Killian and Eileen in a deadly journey through Esha and dive into dark secrets of its inhabitants; try to navigate your way through the unknown territory with only a handful of hints that might lead you to a dangerous discovery about things that should have probably been consigned to oblivion…
Because there’s something dark and unspeakable, hidden in Esha’s stormy waves.
- EVER-CHANGING ISLAND – Esha will always be a bit different; procedurally-generated map, randomized events and branching narrative will allow you to experience something new in each run.
- SURVIVAL THROUGH RESOURCE MANAGEMENT – Explore different locations, gather things that might help you survive and be mindful of your own limits. Be careful, though, because every time you walk into an abandoned house, it might not be as abandoned as it would seem…
- WIDE VARIETY OF MONSTERS – Sometimes the evil will take particular forms, straight from your worst nightmares… Encounter 20 unique monsters that will remind you of creatures from lovecraftian horrors and try to defend yourself from their attacks.
- CUSTOMIZABLE CHARACTERS – You may not be able to fight, but that doesn’t mean you’re defenceless. Find and change your outfits, craft and equip talismans, learn about enemies’ vulnerabilities – all in order to survive.
- MULTIPLE ENDINGS – Will you find the way out, or will you succumb to the darkness of Esha? The choices you make throughout the game will lead you to one of the five main endings.
- UNIQUE SENSORY EXPERIENCE – Feel the despair of the main characters and the desolation of Esha through the combination of atmospheric graphics, music and narrative, inspired by the works of Lovecraft and other works of the cosmic horror genre.
Theatre of Sorrows (Switch – eShop) does not have a release date yet.
Source: Cat-astrophe Games PR / Cat-astrophe Games (Steam)