Nintendo Switch Online: more details (pricing, cloud saves, more)
During the latest meeting with investors, Tatsumi Kimishima announced that Nintendo would share further details about its Nintendo Switch Online service in Early May. And earlier today, the official website was indeed updated with the new details: pricing, personal and family memberships, cloud saves, and more!
First, an overview of the various features included in the service:
- Online Play: the most basic feature, that allows you to play online with compatible games. Free until the service is launched, in September. Nintendo will share more details about how you can tell whether a game required a subscription or not at a later date. A tentative list of games requiring a paid membership can be found on this page!
- Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online: a selection of NES games with added online functionality. More details about them can be found on this page!
- Save Data Cloud Backup: you will be able to backup your save data on the cloud. More details about that particular feature will be shared before the service is launched. Nintendo specifies that not all games will be compatible with that feature.
- Nintendo Switch Online App: the infamous app that allows you to use voice chat with other players, create Lounges (lobbies), use special services (such as SplatNet 2), and more. Free until the service is launched, in September.
- Special Offers: special offers only for users with a NSO membership. More details coming soon.
Next: the pricing. Nintendo will have several plans, including one for families:
One per each Nintendo Account holder. Important: you don’t need to purchase a membership for each Nintendo Switch console if you happen to own more than one. You just need to sign up with the Nintendo Account associated to your membership. You cannot share it with other users on the same console, though.
- 1 month (30 days): $3.99 / $4.99 CDN / 3.99€ / £3.49 / 279 руб. / 5,60 CHF / ZAR 52 / AU $5.95 / NZ $6.55 / 300 Yen
- 3 months (90 days): $7.99 / $9.99 CDN / 7.99€ / £6.99 / 559 руб. / 11,20 CHF / ZAR 105 / AU $11.95 / NZ $13.15 / 800 Yen
- 12 months (365 days): $19.99 / $24.99 CDN / 19.99€ / £17.99 / 1399 руб. / 28,- CHF / ZAR 262 / AU $29.95 / NZ $32.95 / 2 400 Yen
You can invite up to 7 other Nintendo Accounts (including Child accounts), and share the Family Membership with them. It’s not clear whether you will be able to share the membership with anyone, or just family members. One thing we do know is that you need to be at least 18 years old, and have your Credit Card or PayPal account linked to your Nintendo Account.
You also need to create a Family Group via your Nintendo Account (only possible from May 15th onwards).
- 12 months (365 days): $34.99 / $44.99 CDN / 34.99€ / £31.49 / 2449 руб. / 49,- CHF / ZAR 459 / AU $54.95 / NZ $60.45 / 4 500 Yen
You will be able to purchase a Nintendo Switch Online membership from the following retailers:
- select retailers (TBA, but most likely the same already offering Nintendo eShop Pre-paid cards)
- Nintendo eShop
- Nintendo website
Finally, here’s an outline of the features available to Nintendo Switch Online members and non-members:
The full Nintendo Switch Online service will be launched in September.