Alongside the usual weekly and monthly reports, Famitsu often share special sales reports when specific milestones are hit. And that’s what we have today, with a special report for the Nintendo Switch hitting 20 million units sold in Japan since launch.
Between launch and May 30th 2021 (222 weeks in total), the Nintendo Switch sold 20 018 278 units in Japan. With this, we can deduce that the Nintendo Switch sold 71 148 units during Week 22; another strong week for the console, despite the lack of major release and May/June being a rather slow period for the Japanese video games market as a whole.
The OG model is by far the most popular one, as it sold nearly 5 times more than the Lite model:
- Nintendo Switch: 16 168 420 units
- Nintendo Switch Lite: 3 849 858 units
The Nintendo Switch is well on its way to become one of the best-selling consoles of all times in Japan. It will have no trouble outselling the Nintendo 3DS (about 25 million units), and could very well end up outselling the Nintendo DS (over 32 million units) provided it stays long enough on the market and sales continue at the current higher-than-usual pace and the rumoured new model proves a hit.
Famitsu have also shared the Top 5 Software for the console as of Week 21 (May 23rd 2021):
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo): 6 778 146 units sold
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo): 4 285 272 units sold
- Pokémon Sword and Shield (The Pokémon Company): 4 052 668 units sold
- Splatoon 2 (Nintendo): 3 868 221 units sold
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 3 844 200 units sold
NB: those numbers only include retail sales (including Download Cards), and not digital sales or sales from some retailers (Amazon, Nintendo Store, etc.).
Click here for more Japanese sales data!