Nintendo Direct (Sept. 13th/14th 2018) – Part 1: Animal Crossing / Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
On September 13th/14th 2018, the latest Nintendo Direct presentation shone light on many upcoming Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS games, with quite a few brand new annoucements. In this series of posts, we will provide a handy recap of all the games showcased and/or announced.
In this post:
- Animal Crossing: mainline entry announced for the Nintendo Switch
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Isabelle joins the fight, Nintendo Switch bundle
- Luigi’s Mansion 3 announced
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe announced
- Yoshi’s Crafted Island: new footage and pictures, release window
During the Nintendo Direct, it was announced that a brand new mainline Animal Crossing game was in the works for the Nintendo Switch. Unfortunately, we know absolutely nothing about it, just that it will be released sometime in 2019!
The Upcoming Games page has been updated!
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
But that’s not the only bit of Animal Crossing new we got. Just before Animal Crossing for Nintendo Switch was announced, it was revealed that Isabelle is joining the roster of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Also, Nintendo announced that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is also getting a Nintendo Switch bundle. Just like the one for Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Let’s Go, Eevee, it includes a special dock (featuring characters from the original Super Smash Bros. game) and Joy-Cons, but no special console. It also comes with a download code for the game, which naturally cannot be used until launch day. This new bundle comes out on November 2nd in North America, and November 16th in Europe and Japan, and costs $359.99.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) comes out on December 7th worldwide. The Upcoming Games page has been updated!
Luigi’s Mansion 3
The Nintendo Direct kicked off right away with a big surprise: Luigi’s Mansion 3 for the Nintendo Switch, releasing sometime in 2019. Unfortunately, we know absolutely nothing about the game, though we did get to see a little bit of it during the presentation:
The Upcoming Games page has been updated!
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Did you skip on New Super Mario Bros. U on Wii U? If yes, you will be able to check it out on Nintendo Switch, thanks to New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe. It’s a compilation of both New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U, which means a whopping 164 courses to discover!
This version of the game does feature some additional content, namely two new playable characters: Nabbit (cannot take damage), and Toadette (who can transform into Peachette by getting a Super Crown).
Take on two family-friendly, side-scrolling adventures with up to three friends* as you try to save the Mushroom Kingdom. Includes the New Super Mario Bros. U and harder, faster New Super Luigi U games—both of which include Nabbit and Toadette as playable characters!
Two games in one, for double the fun! Simple, straightforward controls, new playable characters optimized for younger and less-experienced players, and a wealth of bonus content—like a Hints gallery and helpful reference videos—make this a perfect choice for anyone looking to introduce their family to the wonderful world of Mario. All a player needs is one Joy-Con controller, so two people can team up right out of the box! Tackle 164 platforming courses in the two main game modes and enjoy extra replayability with three additional game modes in which you can also play as a Mii character: Challenges, Boost Rush, and Coin Battle!
- A variety of playable characters are available, some with unique attributes that affect gameplay and platforming physics.
- Younger and less-experienced players will love playing as Toadette, who is brand new to both games, and Nabbit, who was formerly only playable in New Super Luigi U. Both characters offer extra assistance during play.
- Multiplayer sessions are even more fun, frantic, and exciting thanks to entertaining character interactions. Need a boost? Try jumping off a teammate’s head or getting a teammate to throw you!
- Features a wealth of help features, like a Hints gallery, reference videos**, and a Super Guide in New Super Mario Bros. U that can complete levels for you if they’re giving you trouble.
- Three additional modes—Boost Rush, Challenges, and Coin Battle—mix up gameplay and add replayability, while also upping the difficulty for players who want to try something harder. Players can use their Mii characters in these modes!
- Share the adventure with a friend! During two-player co-op gameplay, each player can use a single Joy-Con controller, so no additional accessories are required. And to add two more players to the mix, all you need is one extra set of Joy-Con controllers (sold separately).
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Switch) comes out on January 11th worldwide. The Upcoming Games page has been updated!
Yoshi’s Crafted Island
During the Nintendo Direct, it was announced that Yoshi’s Crafted Island is the official title of the mysterious Yoshi game for the Nintendo Switch. It takes place in a world crafted from household items like boxes and paper cups. Once you’ve reached the end of a stage, you can actually go back to the start on the “flip side” in order to discover various secrets.
Yoshi’s Crafted Island (Switch) comes out this Spring worldwide. The Upcoming Games page has been updated!