With just two weeks left until release, Nintendo made a couple of important announcements regarding Mario Strikers: Battle League today. The first one: the game will get post-launch updates, adding new content such as additional characters (similar to what Nintendo did for Mario Tennis Aces and Mario Golf: Super Rush). The best part: those updates will be completely free!
Next: there will be a First Kick demo event next week. The demo is already available for download (see this page for the links!), and you can try out the tutorial right away, but the whole thing will only be playable during specific periods from June 3rd to June 6th.
Here’s when each play periods will take place:
- Europe: June 4th and June 5th from 5AM to 6AM, 1PM to 2PM, 9PM to 10PM
- UK: June 4th and June 5th from 4AM to 5AM, 12PM to 1PM, 8PM to 9PM
- North America (ET): June 3rd from 11PM to 12AM / June 4th from 7AM to 8AM, 3PM to 4PM, 11PM to 12AM / June 5th from 7AM to 8AM, 3PM to 4PM
- North America (PT): June 3rd from 8PM to 9PM / June 4th from 4AM to 5AM, 12PM to 1PM, 8PM to 9PM, June 5th from 4AM to 5AM, 12PM to 1PM
- Japan: June 4th from 12PM to 1PM, 8PM to 9PM / June 5th from 4AM to 5AM, 12PM to 1PM, 8PM to 9PM / June 6th from 4AM to 5AM
Improtant note: you DO need a valid Nintendo Switch Online subscription in order to take part in the First Kick demo event, though of course, you can use a Trial coupon if you don’t have one.
During the First Kick demo event, you will be able to take part in Team Battles with other players, with the following possible setups (up to 4 players):
- two players playing on two Nintendo Switch consoles join one team
- two players on the same console join one team
You can play with friends or with complete strangers… your choice!
In the First Kick demo event, you will be able to choose 4 characters among the 10 available at launch. However, you will not be able to buy or wear any Gear to customise their abilities.
The 10 characters are divided in several categories:
- Technique Type: Mario, Luigi
- Physical Type: Bowser, Wario
- Speed Type: Peach, Toad
- Offense Type: Yoshi, Rosalina
- Defense Type: Donkey Kong, Waluigi
In order to get used to the gameplay of the game, as well as the various techniques and abilities of each character, make sure to try out the tutorial ahead of the First Kick demo event!
Speaking of techniques, Nintendo have shared some additional footage for the game on the official website in Japan. It showcases the various techniques you will need to master in order to claim victory not just in the First Kick demo event, but also in the full game!
- 0:00 Tackle
- 0:17 Interception
- 0:23 Shoot
- 0:44 Pass
- 1:06 Goalkeeping
- 1:26 Hyper Strikes
- 1:58 Team Tackle (Offense)
- 2:01 Team Tackle (Defense)
- 2:05 Perfect Shoot
- 2:17 Perfect Tackle
- 2:32 Perfect Direct Pass
- 2:44 Perfect Direct Shoot
- 2:52 Perfect Feint
Nintendo also shared a video showcasing those same techiques, this time with commentary (only in Japanese, unfortunately…):
But that’s not all! Nintendo have also revealed the Opening Movie:
And finally, we have a TV commercial for the game, straight from Japan:
Finally, Nintendo have announced some extras for Nintendo Switch Online subscribers:
- there will be a new Mission that will task you with playing the Mario Strikers: Battle League First Kick demo event (online, naturally, the demo won’t count) in order to claim some Platinum Points
- some Mario Strikers: Battle League icon elements will be available from June 10th onwards
Mario Strikers: Battle League (Switch) comes out on June 10th worldwide.