This week, Famitsu shared their monthly data for the Japanese video game market, and more precisely January. The period covered goes from January 1st to January 28th (so 4 weeks in total).
Let’s start with the Top 5 Software, which was dominated by one title that sold over two times more than the rest of the Top 4 on its own… that’s right, it’s Monster Hunter World! Despite the lack of major releases, the Nintendo Switch managed to end up with 3 games in the Top 3, with Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, and Mario Kart Deluxe still selling at a steady pace.
Here’s the Top 5 Software:
- [PS4] Monster Hunter World (Capcom): 1 350 412 units
- [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Nintendo): 219 595 units
- [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo): 190 252 units
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo): 169 586 units
- [PS4] Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (Square-Enix): 137 304 units
As mentioned above, the Nintendo Switch managed to grab 3 of the 5 spots of the Top 5, despite a lack of major releases (Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle came out too late to show up, despite its good debut. It’s ranked #7 this month).
- Nintendo Switch – 3 games in the Top 5
- PlayStation 4 – 2 games in the Top 5
Hardware-wise, the Nintendo Switch wasn’t the best-selling platform for once, due to insufficient shipments and a certain monster game boosting PlayStation 4 sales.
- PlayStation 4 – 330 137 units sold (312 665 units last month, ranked #2)
- Nintendo Switch – 269 047 units sold (993 318 units last month, ranked #1)
Finally, that same monster game that boosted PlayStation 4 sales allowed Capcom the take top spot of the Publisher Top 3, though Nintendo isn’t far behind… despite not releasing anything other than Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle! This just goes to show how healthy the platform is for Software sales, with games that sell well on the long run.
- Capcom: 1 427 000 units
- Nintendo: 1 152 000 units
- Square-Enix: 205 000 units
Famitsu points out that the momentum of the Nintendo Switch from the holiday season carried over in January. Splatoon 2 has already sold over 1 972 000 units, and quite naturally, they expect it to reach 2 million units in February.