Atelier Lydie & Suelle: latest details and pictures, footage, soundtrack preview
This week again, Koei-Tecmo and Gust shared some more details about Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings, along with the latest batch of screenshots and artworks, but also a gameplay video, and another soundtrack preview.
Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings – New characters
First, we have some new characters:
- Fuuko (voiced by Konomi Kohara). A mysterious girl of unknown age (130cm tall), sporting small wings. She lives in a place called Unfell Great Falls, where a lava fall is said to be, and which happens to be inside of the mysterious paintings. She’s described as a rather naive girl, who doesn’t know anything the world, but is pretty curious about it. Lydie & Suelle try to help her escape, as it seems the inhabitants of the world she lives in are in some sort of danger.
- Neige Chintreuil (voiced by Chisa Yuuki). An alchemist of unknown age (140cm tall), and the first person ever to paint one of the infamous mysterious paintings. She’s described as a rather composed and mature person, but disappointed with the adult world, she now wishes to remain a child forever. Lydie & Suelle meet her in a frozen palace, and it looks like the cold of the place also froze her very heart. She looks like a child, but she’s actually an old woman who takes the form of a child inside her mysterious painting.
- Captain Bakken (voiced by Mitsuhiro Goto): a pirate known as Burning Bakken, who used to stand at the very top of the pirate world. He lives within a mysterious painting called “Treasure House Beneath the Sea”: a cave located at the bottom of the ocean, where he keeps on protecting his treasure (said to be so valuable, money cannot be used to value it), long after his body has been turned into bones. He’s a pretty cheerful and easy-going fellow, though he does come off a highhanded at first. He calls Lydie & Suelle his henchmen.
Here’s some of the friends that will accompany Lydie & Suelle during their journey:
- Mathias Ferrié Adalett: he was asked by Mireille to guard Lydie & Suelle. The thing is, he can be reluctant to engage strong-looking monsters;
- Firis Mistlud: by defeating a monster, which was part of Lydie & Suelle’s Atelier Rank exam, she increase the rank of her own atelier (which is now higher than the twins’);
- Alt: a mysterious boy Lydie & Suelle meet while investigating the mysterious paintings. He offers to come along with them, instead of handing over the painting he owns. He has a keen interest in both the mysterious paintings and the twins (who are investigating them);
- Sophie Neuenmuller: she wishes for everyone’s happiness. As Lydie & Suelle are about to give up against strong mosnters, beyond their powers, Sophie is there to give them an encouragement speech
Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings – Synthesis
During synthesis, you can use special items known as catalysts to change the amount of panels or bring special effect panels. For the catalyst bonus to work, you need to place ingredients in the right box. As you can imagine, the placement and effect of the catalyst bonus mark depends on the catalyst used. You need to pay special attention to the items you have, in order to choose the best catalyst.
There’s various types of bonuses, that offer an increase/decrease in the following:
- special characteristics that can carry over. Depending on the items used during synthesis, the special characteristics of those very items can carry over. Using the right catalyst can increase the number of such characteristics that can carry over;
- effect level
- amount you can create
Also, the game features Activation Items (that were already mentioned in previous reports). There’s various types:
- some can affect all boxes;
- other can change the colour of boxes (for example, one with the “Change” effect will make all boxes where ingredients have already been placed change colour; “Adjacent Recolouring” makes nearby boxes change to the same colour as the one this Activation Item was used on; “Insertion” makes square change colour horizontally, vertically, and diagonally; “Total Recolouring” makes all boxes of the same colour switch to a different colour, when used on a coloured box)
Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings – Requests
At the bulletin board located just outside the royal castle, you can accept various requests. Those are divided in two categories: the first one has you collect items, while the second one has you defeat monsters.
Here’s how requests work:
- accept requests from the bulletin board. You can accept several of them at once, if you want;
- complete the request. If you have to defeat monsters, the area where the target monster(s) are located can be found on the request itself;
- once done, talk to the receptionist at the bulleting board to collect your rewards.
Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings – Mysterious Paintings
Here’s some more Mysterious Paintings to be found in the game:
- Noisy Forest: a gloomy forest where the sound of noisy voices can be heard endlessly. There, Suelle discovers a sign that curses anyone that reads it;
- Unfell Great Falls: a world of hot lava, where Fuuko lives;
- Shining Cavern of Ice: a pretty cold cave, stuck in an eternal winter. Lucia ends up frozen by a monster’s attack in there.
Finally, here’s the latest set of screenshots and artworks:
But that’s not all: here’s a gameplay video, showcasing various elements of the game:
Finally, here’s a second soundtrack preview: