Puyo Puyo Tetris: plenty of details (characters, rules, modes), footage
Yesterday, SEGA opened the official website for Puyo Puyo Tetris, revealing plenty of details for the game, and even some gameplay footage! A quick reminder: if you’re interested, you can download a demo from the Japanese Nintendo eShop (though unfortunately, it’s only available in Japanese…)!
Here’s the various characters that appear in Puyo Puyo Tetris: Amitie, Arle and Carbuncle, Ringo, Tee, Ess, Ai, O, Raffina, Suketoudara, Rulue, Maguro, Risukuma, Sig, Klug, Witch, Draco Centauros, Schezo, Jay & Elle, Zed, Lemres, Feli, Dark Prince, Ecolo, and Ex.
In Puyo Puyo Tetris, you can play using the following rules:
- Versus: Puyo Puyo vs Tetris, with basic rules. You can chose to play just Puyo Puyo or just Tetris, if you prefer;
- Fusion: Puyos and Tetriminos are mixed together on the same board, for some truly puzzling action. With those rules, you can drop Tetriminos on top of garbage Puyos in order to get rid of them, and naturally, you can create special chains mixing Tetriminos and Puyos;
- Swap: with those rules, Puyo Puyo and Tetris swap when the time hits zero. If you’re really skilled, you can time your falling pieces with the switch, in order to get bigger and better chains;
- Party: with those rules, you can activate items in order to disrupt your opponent. You can keep playing again and again, as the game doesn’t end until time runs out;
- Big Bang: the same as VS, but with Puyo Puyo Fever and Tetris Lucky Attack. Your goal is to clear as many Tetriminos and Puyos as possible;
- Challenge Mode (only playable in Single Player): Endless Puyo, Endless Fever, Tiny Puyo, Marathon (try to clear 150 lines, and get as many points as possible while doing so), Sprint (clear 40 lines as fast as possible), Ultra (clear as many lines as possible within the time limit);
Here’s a video showcasing the Versus, Fusion, Swap, Party, and Big Bang rules:
Puyo Puyo Tetris features the following modes:
- Adventure: the Story Mode. Here’s a synopsis:
Ringo, Arle, and Amitie are about to have a Puyo Puyo battle when a bunch of mysterious blocks suddenly appear and they’re whisked away to outer space!
They meet a mysterious boy named Tee and the crew of SS Tetra. Are they friends or foes!?
Two worlds collide in the Puyo Puyo and Tetris Adventure! Now let’s battle!
- Lessons: where you can learn to play. There’s lessons for Puyo Puyo, Fusion, and Tetris, and more specifically Basic Controls (for the basics of basics), Advanced Controls (for when you’ve finally got the hang of the basics), and Strategies (because just learn how to play isn’t enough to win!);
- Arcade (playable in Solo and Multiplayer): with all 6 game modes playable;
- Online: with the Puzzle League (you play against other players online, and climb up the Rankings with each win. NB: the Rankings are separated by area), Free Play (you can customise the rules, create your own game and join others, and play with your friends), and Watch Replays (you can watch replays sent by other players).
Puyo Puyo Tetris (Switch) comes out on April 25th in North America, and April 28th in Europe.