Earlier today, Minecraft on Nintendo Switch received a mysterious update, that brings it to Ver. 1.5.0. Unfortunately, no patch notes were available at that time, so it wasn’t clear what this update added or changed. All we knew is that it added support for Realms, but those were not available right away since the update had not been released on other platforms yet.
But now, it’s official: Realms are finally available in Minecraft on Nintendo Switch. And that’s not all: the update also brings Update Aquatic Phase two, with tons of new features / content (including adorable turtles, bubble columns that punish careless swimmers, and a sinister new mob).
As mentioned previously, the Update Aquatic comes in two phases. Phase One was released on Nintendo Switch alongside the “Better Together” Update, on June 21st. This new Software update brings Phase Two. Neither are coming to the “old” version of Minecraft on Nintendo Switch, and only the new version (running on the Bedrock Engine) is supported. If you haven’t already, you can get it for free from the Nintendo eShop!
As for the Wii U version, it is indeed getting the Update Aquatic (as announced a few months ago), but we still don’t have any word on when it will be released.
You can find the complete patch notes for Ver. 1.5.0 on the Minecraft Updates page, but below, you will find a partial list of new features and changes brought by this update:
- Realms are now available on Nintendo Switch
- The Drowned – These dangerous, underwater zombies lurk in dark, deep water and will come up to the shore at night
- Sea Turtles – These gentle creatures can be found swimming in oceans and tanning on beaches. Protect their eggs so more can hatch!
- Turtle Shell and Scute items
- Potion of the Turtle Master
- Nautilus Shells – Can be found while fishing or held by the Drowned
- Conduits can now be constructed underwater and give players the Conduit Power effect. Craft them with Nautilus Shells & Heart of the Sea
- Bubble Columns – Magma Blocks create downward flowing columns and Soul Sand creates upward flowing bubbles
- New Achievements!
- Added new commands that only affect worlds with Education Edition enabled: 1. /ability – Sets a player’s ability 2. /immutableworld – Sets the immutable state of the world 3. /worldbuilder – Toggle World Builder status of caller
- Changed the menu background to be themed for Update Aquatic
- Undead mobs will now sink in water and can walk on the bottom
- Improved the steering of Boats when using keyboard and mouse by pressing W to move forward and S to reverse
- Dolphins can now be given Raw Fish or Raw Salmon and will swim towards the nearest Ocean Ruins or Shipwreck
- Husks that have sunk in water will now transform into Zombies and Zombies will transform into Drowned
- Skeleton Horses can now be ridden underwater
- Skeletons and Strays will switch from ranged to melee attacks while underwater and switch back when out of water
- Coral blocks will no longer die as long as one side is touching water
- Improved player swimming at the surface of water
- Tridents can now be enchanted with Mending and Unbreaking
- Added an animation when using Riptide in first person perspective
- Slightly decreased the friction of Blue Ice
- Updated the texture of the top of Kelp
- Updated the texture of Cooked Fish
- Updated the Riptide spin texture
- Default Field of View has been reduced from 70 to 60 and can be adjusted in Video Settings
- Tridents will no longer break blocks in Creative mode
- The Inventory button has been moved to the top of the Store page